Author Topic: Metricification of Imperial measurements.  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Metricification of Imperial measurements.
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
I'm of an age where I am quite happy working in just about any measurement. From Miles through Barleycorns (1/3") to 'thou's of an inch, and from Kilometres to Millimetres and fractions thereof.

So a simple question. When should we not convert between them?

This question is raised by this months Woodturning magazine article on making a pocket pipe. In it the instructions say drill a hole 3.81mm diameter (Do What!). Now I'm quite lucky in having closed several workshops and 'acquired' many twist drill bits, including several 3.8mm, but what is a 3.81mm?

So I set to working it out, nope, not 16ths, nope not 32nds and not 64ths, I even tried 128ths, a drill size I've never even heard of (and it wasn't one of them either).

So I worked it backwards 25.4mm / 3.81mm = 6.66667, ah, It's a 1/6 of an inch. Now that is probably a drill bit size but I can't find one. It's bigger than a (Old English) size 'V' at 3.77mm and smaller than the size 'W' at 3.86mm. And I can't see one listed in any Drill Chart either!http://www.csgnetwork.com/drillsizeconvert.html  Anyone seen or got one?

So the instructions are telling us to use a metric equivalent of an unobtainable English size!

Are there times when we should not convert from one measurement system to another, or an I just being grumpy?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Metricification of Imperial measurements.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
 No I think you are just being grumpy. :D
 Those of us of a certain age and over have the ability to work and think in many different measurements.It is not unusual for me to combine 2 different measurements(ie. 3 foot 7mm)As long as I know what I mean that's all that matters. In joinery we used to work to the nearest 32nd (these days I think they work to the nearest 1/4.)!! If it didn't fit hit it harder. It was only when you worked on cabinetry that the measurements got more critical, things like inlay work and fine furniture had to be a bit better. When I turn things like newel posts I can quite often work all day without taking any measurements with a rule or tape,I do comparative measuring and work to the sizes of my tools, obviously diameters have to be more accurate. If you think of how much the wood can move being that accurate may cause problems in the future, how many times have you made a pot and put it on the table only for the lid to pop off once it starts to move?
    I don't want to convert for the same reason that I don't want to have currency in my pocket without having the Queen's head on it.
Who being grumpy now then?  ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
Ah, the old,

Measure Twice, Cut Once and beat into Place trick!

The other one I heard was,

Cabinet Makers work to the thou',
Joiner work to the 64th,
and Carpenters work Monday to Friday!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Ah, the old,

Joiner work to the 64th,

:) ..   :D ..  ;D ...  There is always room for a smidgen and if there's ever a spanner in the works ...  it Metric ...   ;D ...

I still even at my age see readily Imperial measurements, maybe from cutting, matting and framing, it's as John put it: 'work to the sizes of my tools' I find it the same when all you use are imperial, fine for laying out, sizing, but add in metric, however much they try telling us it's the same ..  1" is not 25mm .. since 1959, the inch has been defined and internationally accepted as being equivalent to 25.4mm ... that's when it's not as with most conversions given as cm ...  :( .. then timber is metric, blanks are often imperial-ish, so which do anyone of us use, which ever works best for what your doing or what someone else may what, like a newel as long as the ends are correct, you less whatever the lenght it is in the middle.

Ok from another grumpy ..   ;D ..       David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »

This question is raised by this months Woodturning magazine article on making a pocket pipe. In it the instructions say drill a hole 3.81mm diameter (Do What!). Now I'm quite lucky in having closed several workshops and 'acquired' many twist drill bits, including several 3.8mm, but what is a 3.81mm?

Sounds to me as if someone has let a typo slip through the magazine proofreading ::)
Tim

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:51 PM »
I think that they should stop teaching centimetres in schools and just teach metres and millimetres which is what is used in industry at the moment, look at any drawing to do with the construction industry and centimetres are not mentioned, and as for decimetres I have never dealt with them since leaving school,same as logarithms.

Quote from: dr4g0nfly on Today at 06:43:34 PM
Ah, the old,

Joiner work to the 64th,

You could add that Turners work when they can.

Regards
John BHT

woody

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »
When I left school the only measurements we used was good ol imperial who needs all this metric stuff from abroad anyway imperial worked for donkeys years and in America it still is from another grumpy ol git

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
Joiner work to the 64th,

excellent! must steal this and pass on!

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
Heres another one from my days in the RN - Engineers work to the nearest thou and shipwrights work to the nearest dockyard!!

Ken