Author Topic: Newby question...  (Read 3255 times)

arcos

Newby question...
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
I am having problems with finishing turning prior to parting off...

I seem to struggle to get good access to be able to leave just a small nub, thus leaving minimal sanding/cleaning.

Could it be that I am not leaving enough waste to give me clearance/access?

Thanks

arcos

Re: Newby question...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »
I think you have answered your own question.

Regards George

Thanks George!

I thought I may be on the right track there!  ???

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
Arcos, As Georges says.

Also it's a mistake we all make when starting out, trying to maximise the finished product from the bit of wood we have.

If you look at last nights post by George Watikins (the Work in Progress (WiP) Photos) http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,1157.0.html. His piece of wood starts off 13" long and the finished form is 8". Maybe 5 inches is a lot to loose from an expensive purchased blank, but he gets his timber from a tree surgeon and the leftover bit can always be used for a jam chuck or smaller turning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
Yep, thanks!

I think I am getting so wrapped up in the turning that I am just not thinking about the finishing!

I have made LOADS of 'bits' these past days for display in the cafe here. Nothing like you guys could produce but hey, I'm getting there AND LOVIN' IT!

I just turned a little scrap of peach that was sitting, rotting away into a once piece bottle stopper. Damn I love peach wood! It is beautiful! Never turned a piece of peach before and I think I need to go and 'forage' for some!

I will see if I can get a photo of the bits I have turned these last couple of days and post it here.

Aside from the mounting of the wood to be turned I find that I spend AGES trying to work around finishing and parting so will definitely start leaving more room and see what happens!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
Hi arcos,
           the other thing you can do is reverse turn it. By that I mean once you have parted your piece off the lathe find some way of remounting it the other way round. You may have to "jam " the piece into a specially turned recess in some scrap or  or jam it onto a specially shaped spigot again made from scrap. You could make a set of wooden jaws with which to hole the piece without marking it. Once you start using jam chucks they get easier and quicker to make, you also start to think a little differently and it encourages you to take gentler cuts and be more innovative when shaping a foot etc.
Hope this helps
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
Plentiful supplies of Olive, Peach and other fruit woods,

Warm Sun, open air cafe,

You're making us all jealous!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »
Plentiful supplies of Olive, Peach and other fruit woods,

Warm Sun, open air cafe,

You're making us all jealous!

Sometimes its tough you know  ;)

Just turning a nice little piece of apple at the moment for another bottle stopper...

Much prefer peach but its nice enough