Author Topic: Freezing wood...?  (Read 4363 times)

arcos

Freezing wood...?
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
Last summer I was sat outside a cafe ( nothing unusual  ;) ) sharing a very nice, cold red wine with friends...

The 'unique' thing was that the cafe served the wine in cute terracotta 'beakers' that were kept in the freezer to ensure that the wine was also ice cold.

I had an idea about the possibility of freezing similar 'beakers' turned from wood. Anyone ever tried freezing cups, beakers etc?

Perhaps this would just simply NOT work in which case just keeping them in a fridge would be better?

Any thoughts?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Freezing wood...?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »
Can't say I've tried it but given that all wood has some moisture content and liquids expand and contract when frozen then thawed I would guess that you stand a good chance of the wood splitting? Wood is naturally an excellent insulator however so if you put a cold drink in a wooden beaker it should stay cold a lot longer anyway?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Devchef1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
We have woodener pallets sat at -40C at work and they survive been defrosted and then refrozen many times

So cant see why not !

Mike 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
Sounds like another experiment for your plentiful supply of nice oily Olive wood.

So if you do, pop up another post with your findings.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
Why would you want to chill a red wine anyway?! Rose perhaps. Or maybe a light Beaujolais. But cold red?

arcos

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »
Why would you want to chill a red wine anyway?! Rose perhaps. Or maybe a light Beaujolais. But cold red?

When it's 40 degrees at the chosen tipple is red wine then chilled IS the way forward BELIEVE ME!

;)

Devchef1

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »

When it's 40 degrees at the chosen tipple is red wine then chilled IS the way forward BELIEVE ME!

;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jul/05/tim-atkin-chilled-red-wine interesting take on Chilled Red , i prefer mine chilled now :0

arcos

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »

;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jul/05/tim-atkin-chilled-red-wine interesting take on Chilled Red , i prefer mine chilled now :0

Nice article....

Interestingly, the wine here is virtually all 'home made' and really does benefit from chilling!

It's when they start adding Fanta Orange that I begin to object!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
I've noticed the continentals don't understand the concept of Lemonade and as such a Shandy can be an 'interesting' taste.

If your lucky it's Sprite and has a hint of lime and yes, I've been served a mix of Lager & Fanta as well!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
I've noticed the continentals don't understand the concept of Lemonade and as such a Shandy can be an 'interesting' taste.

If your lucky it's Sprite and has a hint of lime and yes, I've been served a mix of Lager & Fanta as well!

Ah, we DO have 'lemonade' here... in TWO forms! Gaseosa (which is close to UK lemonade) and Lemonade (which is like lemon Fanta)

AND we even have a shandy or 'larger top' option!

Not sure I fancy the Lager and Fanta!