Author Topic: MEMBER DETAILS  (Read 10143 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
MEMBER DETAILS
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:45:41 PM »
Under the topic 'sharpening chisels' Bob a Job offered to help "if you are anywhere near Margate", which prompts me to ask if 'Location' should be a must on your profile.
It seems to happen fairly often that ones location is relevant to the topic.   

Tony Malin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: MEMBER DETAILS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
I can see that there could be many useful bit's of information that could be asked for in signing up for a forum, but at the same time there is also a need to keep the level of compulsory information down, so as to not scare off prospective members.

George, I understand you're comment about proper names (and I don't use mine) but I also understand  the WWW. That is what was the WWW (a place to look up information), what it's grown into under forums, blogs and community sights like FB and Google+ (what is known as Web2), but there is also a hidden one called DeepWeb. Out of curiosity I took a peek - I now know what the 'B' stand for!

Because of this I keep my interest areas separate with different usernames, so as to prevent a DeepWeb search bringing up all my YouTube, Origami, Woodturning, Games etc., links and interests in one go.

Any information above a 'Username' and a working e-mail address, must be voluntary. ;)

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »

Bryan,

You have just highlighted the very thing of my concern, it has other titles and then there's the dark ..

Should the wife's granddaughter in Texas be using her phone for FB via the map she can see her location..  same should you turn on ... find my ipad.

This is more of an open forum than we think ..  Big Boy issssssssssss

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
If I joined under my real name most people wouldn't know who I was I have been called woody for many years it is a nick name that is used by more people than those who call me Vic

ru55ell1

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
Names, I agree, but general location would be useful.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
I don't see a problem with proper names as there are thousands of people with the
same name no matter what it is. I think that a region rather than a location would
be useful, mine is S. Wales. We can send a PM on this site so e-mail is not important,
the rest is up to how much the individual want's to share with the rest of the world.
Incidentally, does anybody know what the Teletype Button does in this reply box ?
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
I very much doubt if proper names will ever become a must. However it seems that there is a group of people who actually know one another and sometimes refer to them by their first name. This puts the rest of us at a slight disadvantage. My name address and telephone number are known right across India, but the Phillipinos seem to have lost me. My latest technique when faced with questions is to give all the wrong answers in the correct order. Could we please have a referendum on location some time soon?? Otherwise I'll leave !!!! So there!!!

TONY MALIN

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Giving proper names and location gives away too much information on a wide open forum but I agree area might be useful. What's wrong with nicknames? Sometimes they are more unique than real names. I've had several and they've never caused a problem. However, if members want to know another's real name and address they can always send a Personal message. That way, the information remains private.

I don't see a problem with proper names as there are thousands of people with the
same name no matter what it is. I think that a region rather than a location would
be useful, mine is S. Wales. We can send a PM on this site so e-mail is not important,
the rest is up to how much the individual want's to share with the rest of the world.
Incidentally, does anybody know what the Teletype Button does in this reply box ?

Hi Julcle, the Teletype button creates raw text, without any font or formatting information. This used to be preferred as it reduced the amount of data sent in a message, thereby improving speed of transmission. Nowadays it is not really necessary, as internet speeds cope with vast amounts of data.
If you want to see the effect, use the button and copy some text between the two delimiters . For example I have used it here to copy the last line from your posting.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
Many Thanks for the information Paul, I have it now.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »
Regarding names and locations. I know I have had this conversation with G****e before now. I use the name T*e B****r H****d T****R as that is the name I trade under.Nobody remembers a name but they never forget a hat. I am sure that most of you are aware that my real name is J**n R B***e-A****n and I am the SW rep for the A**B For me it is just who I am and what I do.
      When I first signed onto the forum it was the first forum I had ever been on and did not know what to expect so wanted to keep some level of anonymity. Obviously that now has not happened but with so many J**n's on the site sometimes it is easier to distinguish between them using nicknames. Now it is is just a habit with me. The general area of where you live could be useful, for me it would tell me if you are in my patch or not.  For those that are not in a club,and I did fall into that category for a while, it could mean contact with someone just around the corner.
Regards
J**N
B*T

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
J**n (B*T),

I agree. In my earlier post I said 'why' I used different nicknames for each interest area, but I've never had (much of) a problem being known as Bryan, but Dragonfly is certainly more memorable. My location (shown as 'War Office') is nothing more than a humorous reflection of my previous career (Army) and current employment (MoD Civil Servant).

I agree that if a text area for further voluntary information or a greater range of voluntary text fields were available, as we (the forum users) become more comfortable with using the forum, and wish for a greater interaction with our on-line friends, we could expand on the detail s we post.

What I do not know is if this functionality is available within this forum engine or if it would mean a change to a different engine.

That's a question for the Forum Master or Mods.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
Hi

You can certainly modify your profile to show where you live.  I've just done mine.  But it doesn't show on the left hand side of the  post.  I'll ask andy and get back to you.

We have no desire either now or in the future to mandate the information you wish to make public.  That is, and will remain, up to you.

Cheers Dave

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »
If you want to add your location do the following

1. Open the profile tag at top of page under you name

2. click on Forum Profile Information in Modify Profile section on left of screen

3. Type your town/county in the box titled Personal Text under your avatar picture.

Your details will show as displayed in mine in this post.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »
Thanks, Martin. You saved me a job.

In the user registration agreement I do ask people to use sensible, real, names where possible, but cannot impose it. And wouldn't. It has to be a per user choice.

The same goes for user location. I could impose it but I believe it would deter some users from joining. As Martin has detailed you can add your location via your own PROFILE page. So if you want to show it knock yourselves out.

As for threats of leaving if something isn't done...good luck with that approach in life.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
Thanks Martin. I've followed the instructions and wait to see if I got it right.
Re Daves comment on not wanting to mandate it, if it is generally thought to be useful you could mark it "Recommended".

Tony Malin