Author Topic: Tea Lights and Wood?  (Read 18042 times)

arcos

Tea Lights and Wood?
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
So, I have seen holders with and without inserts for tea lights.

I have made tea light holders without holders.

Just how safe are tea light holders without some kind of insert?

I have two holders on test at the moment, especially as they are going to be used in a public place. I have seen no effect on the wood at all BUT I do know that they get pretty hot and CN, if left on plastic tops, cause minor melting and discolouration.

Does the type of wood make a difference? Pine being more susceptible than oak, due to hardness of wood perhaps?

Any views appreciated.

arcos

Re: Tea Lights and Wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
Yep, know about these.... But are they absolutely necessary?

Oh and buy direct from Ikea... They are £2 for 12 or £2 for 6 of the larger ones!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=glimma

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »
Theoretically, if you put them in their aluminium cases into a really hard wood you will probably be safe but is it worth the risk for a few pence? They are made with different waxes which burn at different temperatures, some really hot. I did some for personal use when I started turning again and had some spalted beech charring from one. Never again, especially if you are selling as you are responsible if anything happens.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
There have been lots of tests done, some scientific some not, and the answer is that it is very unlikely it will affect the wood providing the wood is sound.    If it is soft then there is a 50/50 chance it will cause damage to the wood or even start it smouldering.

Having said that I always use a glass insert as it is safer and as George says looks better.   Also at one show I was at trading standards made everyone who was selling tlights take them off sale if they didnt have an insert between the metal and the wood, including the fair trade ones.   Also dont forget to put a label on the bottom saying "Burning candles are dangerous and should never be left unattended"

john

woody

Re: Tea Lights and Wood?luding
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
I'm so pleased that I came from a generation were common sense prevailed I think  the world is going crazy I have made many candle sticks of all different designs including those with night lights and never ever had a report of a single one catching fire flames and wood are a potential fire risk so are the places were they are put and lit so do we have to supply a book on the doos and dont's of candles no common sense says dont light a candle under an object that will go up in flames but the way things are going you will have to soon you may say I'm being stupid but I would have said the same about what is going on today there as a case in america were some one drank small amount  poison just enough to make them-self ill and took the supplier to court saying id didn't say dont drink and they won  and we are going in the same direction

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:01 AM »
I was talking to a fire safety officer recently and he said the fire service had attended a number of fires which were caused by tea lights being left on flammable surfaces. He said the aluminium foil container on its own was inadequate.

I would take this to mean some sort of non flammable holder is essential.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:44 AM »
An unprotected tee light was left burning atop a television in a high rise flat in Harrow Court, Stevenage a year or two back. The resulting fire cost two firemen their lives. Is there any more to be said?
Brian

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
It is not necessarily the risk involved but the perceived risk. You have to assume that whoever buys or uses your products is a moron. Think of a packet of peanuts, the packaging must state" may contain nuts"!!
      The questions you should ask yourself is this,if someone dies or is injured as a result of one of your products can you.......
a.Live with the knowledge that you were responsible for that injury or some one dying?
b. Can you afford to lose your house if someone sues you?
c. Would you rather take the risk or be seen to be producing articles that conform to regulations? (And there will be regulations somewhere about everyproduct you sell.)
And remember, the minute you make your first item with the intention of selling it, you are deemed to be a manufacturer no matter where you sell, shops,craft fairs or church fetes it doesn't matter.
  You mentioned using pine for a holder,some pines have a high sap content and when it burns,which it does very easily, it spits burning sap, just like mini napalm,so I would not use pine unless you can guarantee that won't happen.
Regards
John
BHT

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
I always use a glass liner on my tea lights, and a metal liner for candle sticks.

I understand that if you sell a candle stick with No candle in you don't need a liner, but if you sell a candle stick with a candle in, you Do need to use a liner, that how complicated it is when you sell items

Philip

arcos

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
Ok, The tea light holders were tested and tea lights were left to burn WITHOUT a liner.

There was a very little noticeable colouring of the wood, no scorching or burning however. One thing that was VERY noticeable is that the wood shrank! Fitting a new tea light is near impossible! Ok, the seat of the holder was only about 2mm and the seat has not damaged the wood in any way!

Was an interesting test and, in my opinion....

Using a glass insert is the sensible option!

Just now need to wait for someone to go to Ikea to pick some up for me! Cannot justify driving 3 hours just for tea light inserts!

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
Wilkinsons sell the glass inserts for about the same price as Ikea.

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
Wilkinsons sell the glass inserts for about the same price as Ikea.

Regards

Terry

These are the one I use as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
Interesting Terry, I will have to pop into Wilkinsons if I get a chance next week and have a look.
Like Arcos, I had to make a pile of Tea Light Holders for Christmas. The tops were only about 2mm thick
I coloured the tops Red and had no liner. They were burning all day on the 25th I think I replaced them
a few times as well but the wood only got mildly warm, certainly not hot, but as you say if you are
doing these for a third party then saftey first.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
Wilkinsons do 2 sizes. One size is for the normal tealighter and the other size is for the 55mm tealighter and also doubles up if you want to put a 50mm pillar candle in.

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry