Author Topic: The one that got away!  (Read 3735 times)

arcos

The one that got away!
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
Or perhaps...

Such a shame that the olive tree I had only managed ONE bowl! About 2m in length average diameter of about 5" and split right through.

This weekend I tried my last try with the wood and it became evident that the core had 3 very clear cracks. I persevered but today it went 'pop'!

I now have 3 pieces of olive wood. 2 small, almost identical pieces and 1 a little larger... I had managed to round the bowl and it was coming along BUT...

Anyway, a question...

What do you do with small pieces that you have laying around? Anything? Nothing? Firewood? Or do you make something interesting?

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: The one that got away!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
Why not try segmented turnings? Go to www.segmentedwoodturners.org for moe information or just ask and I'll be happy to answer any questions. Malcolm.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
It depends upon the size,

larger would be Apples, Pears or Plums, Then there are medium sized bits for Light pulls, Wine Bottle stoppers, Christmas Ornaments (Snowmen, trees or icicles) or really small bits become stems to go in the Apples and other fruits.

If nothing else, it's something to practice bead and coves and skew work on.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04:14 PM »
You seem to be fixated on bowls. Apart from the suggestions already given there are loads of things that can be made from almost any size wood. Most of my turning is spindle work which means that I use wood down to a few mm thick at times. Look at the wood and try and think what could be made from it. At worst put on one side and use for making finials for vases, bowl and box lids etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

ru55ell1

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
Olive makes great pens

arcos

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »
Thanks for all replies...

Fixated on bowls at the moment as I need to make some for a customer and also for display!

I have managed other things including goblet which I REALLY enjoyed making!

Bottle stoppers are another things that I enjoy... Oh what am I saying... I just love turning!

At the moment I am 'struggling' for wood, mainly due to the weather! At least its not snowing!

Now, pens are something that I am interested in BUT I am not sure that I am up to those yet! And yes I think that olive would be great! The other slight problem is that I need to get 'kits' from outside of the country as there is nowhere here to buy them!

ru55ell1

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »
I get my pens from Austrailia, from TIMBERBITS,
http://www.timberbits.com/
Always had good service from David and he does a flat rate postage to UK, you will need to email him and find out what it would cost you perhaps.
Slimline pens come in at about £1.20 each and Sierra are also very reasonable.

arcos

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Thanks ru55ell1

Do you get hit with import duty?

I know that if I tried getting anything outside of the EU it would take WEEKS, possibly months to clear customs and then I would get import duty on top!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
Hi Arcos  --  You must have a go at pens, they are realy quite simple and quite cheap
Plenty of videos on Utube as well, This is my first goblet that I made a few months
ago, I did this one on the old Myford Lathe just before I got the new one.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

arcos

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Nice goblet julcle

I will have to see if I can find  'starter kit' that will include a mandrel that will get me going on pens!