Author Topic: Silly newby questions.... Sorry!  (Read 4400 times)

arcos

Silly newby questions.... Sorry!
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
So, as you know I am not that experienced and a question I have had in my head for a while but not really been able to formulate it properly is...

I have a log, for example, that is 5" diameter max... The log is NOT uniformly round and when measured across from a different side is only 4" across. When cutting a piece off the log to turn how long should I cut the piece for turning?

I am assuming that if the length is too long then I will be turning a lot of waste. If the length is too short then I will be turning a bowl that is less than is possible maximum size?

Does that make sense to anyone  ???

Oh, I have just thought of another question....

I have a tree that, at the lower end has a 'splayed' out profile, with a few remains of cut branches etc etc... So, in essence, its an 'odd' shape.

I could just try and turn it in the 'normal way and spend some considerable time making shavings and dust to end up with a bowl.

How would you deal with something like this? Is there something more interesting that I could try to do? Is there a 'clever' way of dealing with something like this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Silly newby questions.... Sorry!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
Hi Arc, me again
Firstly there is no such thing as a silly newby question, only one that the rest of us may have forgotten that we used to ask....if you see what I mean.
You don't make it clear but sound like you are trying to make endgrain bowls. Nothing wrong with that but side grain is more usual because that makes a better job of displaying the inherant grain pattern. It also gives you the chance to dump the log's pithe, which is the cause of almost all movement and splitting problems.
My advice is to saw the log lengthwise through the pith, better still, if the log is big enough, make a cut each side of the pithe, removing it completely. The slice removed can then be cut again and used as two smaller blanks while disposing of the pithe completly.
You now have two potential bowl blanks and yet another choice to make. If you insist on getting as big a bowl as possible cut the outide of the bowl so that it follows the curve of the bark. If, however, your log has pretty heartwood you will probably want to turn your bowl from the log with it's rim facing the bark. This will leave a smaller bowl but with the prettiness displayed across the floor of the piece rather than as two half moons on the rim.
Hope that helps a bit
All the best
Brian

ru55ell1

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
Sounds about right Brian, if I get holf of a log I usually try to saw its length to about 2 - 2.5 inches longerr than the diameter, then slice down the middle and wet / rough turn the wood or wax the ends and dry it for later use. The extra length allows for any checking at the ends when drying the wood.

arcos

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
Hey! Thanks for the advice!

Yes appreciate the silly question comment  ;)

However, I'm NOT turning end grain bowls!

You see, asking the question is more difficult than the answer!

I am going to mount the cut piece 'side on' and turn side grain.

Obviously the length of the raw piece is going to be longer than the diameter of the log, particularly as the diameter is 'variable!

I guess my question is how long should I cut the piece I want to turn so that I don't spend too much time on taking excess away.

Is there a 'formula'? Diameter is 4" minimum so that length should be 5"? Hmmm still not sure I am asking the question the right way!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
There is no need for the the raw blank to be longer than the diameter unless you are allowing for movement while the piece is drying prior to re-turning, as Russell has described.
To get rid of the excess in a hurry you might remove the corners on bandsaw or 'chew' them away with a chainsaw or carving disc in an angle grinder.... but be damn careful and keep your other hand the other side of the headstock....a slip is easy and an amputation rather permanent!
All the best
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
Arcos,

2 things, we don't generally turn bowls across the trunk or branch, Vases and other spindle type objects are okay.

Also I've run up a quick drawing of how to use a trunk for taking out turning blanks. Assume this would be 12" - 15" across, and adapt it for smaller or larger trunks as available.

I've been doing this with a Brown Oak log the last couple of days, I'll post a couple of pics of some of the work in a day or so.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
To prove the old tryism that nothing can be all right or all wrong.....
The drawing our Mr Fly has posted would be fine and dandy if the log in question has simarlar coloured heart and sapwood, like ash or sycamore, but would give rather questionable results with something with contrast like  laburnam.
So there is no right or wrong way to do anything, we all have to think what we want to achieve before factoring in the material and equipment available. The chances are that the end result will be a compromise which will be different from person to person, log to log and workshop to workshop.
Confusing, when all you want is a straight answer, innit ???
All the best
Brian

arcos

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Thanks Brian...

A straight answer would be great!!!  ;D

I guess my 'difficulty' at the moment is that I don't have any large wood i.e over 5" or 6" diameter MAX, so trying to cut/split something this size is, in my opinion. pretty pointless (unless you are going to tell me different!)

Isn't it 'easier' when using smaller rounds to just mount the whole piece?

I can understand when using larger diameter logs that splitting them and then using them in a more 'economical' way.

Perhaps owning a band saw would make me think different?  ???

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Using the log in the round throws up the problem of working around the pithe. The secret to that is to cut your project to an even thickness... thiness would be a better description....all round. This encourages the wood to move rather than split so you WILL eventually  land up with an off round project which cannot be re-chucked. Some pieces are likely to take on an interesting rustic character but others just wont. All part of the fun of using freeby wood ;)
Tarra
Brian

woody

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »
I have turned loads of bowls from logs as well as vases I also leave the bark on you end up with some amazing natural bowls and they sell really well one thing people love about them is that they will do there own thing and end up all manner of different shapes