Author Topic: Burr Elm Vase form  (Read 4069 times)

Andy Coates

Burr Elm Vase form
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
Burr Elm and mahogony. 13 1/4" by 4" (ish), finish is 600g, two coats of 50/50 melamine + thinners, 1 coat neat melamine, nyweb and burnishing cream, wax and oil mix and buff...oh, and stains...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:47:02 PM by Andy Coates »

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
Re: Burr Elm Vase form
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »
Colouring Burr Elm you might get struck off- What ever will the traditionalist say !!!!!!! :o
Great piece as ever Andy - like it very much
Regards
Ken

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »
Hi Andy,
            despite my views on colouring (which are slowly changing) I do like this. I do like the detail around the inside of the top too.The colours chosen really work well on this.
Regards
John

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Hi Andy,

Nice piece, I have never tried malamine/thinners mix, does this give a realy high gloss finish, and do you burnish on the lathe or by hand.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »
Melamine lacquer can be a pain to apply evenly, hence the 50/50 mix with cellulose thinners. Two coats to penetrate, and a neat coat at the end to add the final layer. De-nibbing between each coat with nyweb.

It can give a VERY high gloss (not to my taste though) indeed. I burnish with chestnut burnishing cream whilst on the lathe. It can be a scary process the first time you do it...you'll see it suddenly go very dull, but keep working a soft cloth over the surface (moving constantly) and the shine will come. It's like T cutting the car (not that I ever do that!).

I used a wax and oil final finish to knock it back a little. Too shiny!

Hope this helps.

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »
Hi Andy
The base I am most impressed with, but I cant quite get used to the neck part. Dont know why but to me it just does not seem right for the piece. The colouring is great.
Roger Groom