Author Topic: Hollow Form  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Hollow Form
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
Finished a few off today here are the results.

Largest Piece: Made from Chesnut 9" tal and 7" at widest, turned wet 12 months back. First applied blue spirit stain, sanded back, green stain sanded back, orange stain sanded back and finally yellow stain, sealed then waxed.

Middle size: Ripples Sycamore turned wet 12 months back, sealed and waxed Stands 5 " tall x 4 1/2" at widest.

Smallest: Made from an Acacia burr turned wet 12 months back, finished today then sealed and waxed stands 3" high and 3 3/4" at widest.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

GwilymF

Re: Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »
Three nice hollow forms Martin, I really like the smallest.
Gwilym

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
Hi Martin,
I like all three - if I had to chose, the acacia burr would be my favourite
Ken

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »
Hi Martin

I also like them all but if I was voting the coloured one would be 1st followed by the sycamore then the acacia.  and that's based on nothing but visual appeal.  It is a close call between 1 and 2 for me.

Cheers Atco

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
Very nice Martin,

I like the subtlety of the greens / blue in the coloured piece but the overall end colour is perhaps a bit yellow?

Are you still getting on well with the Rolly or do you have a new weapon of choice?

Simon

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments.

Simon, Yes I still use the Roly Munro to hollow, I also have one of the Kelton hollowers as well which is great for the udercut parts.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »
Hi Martin,I like these Hollow forms I hope after my days workshop tuition with Mark Hancock 2 weeks ago I can start to do a few hollow forms.Regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
Not sure about #3...love acacia burr, and the void, but the top seems a little flat in the picture...but could be the photo rather than the form...

#2 is fine. no problem with it.

#1 wasn't at all sure about but have looked a few times now and it's grown on me. I also thought it might be too yellow, but then if it wasn't you probably wouldn't have the green striations in the growth layers around the upper section, and I love those...so settled on an " i like it"...

you have been busy though, haven't you