Author Topic: My turning days are over  (Read 13011 times)

woody

My turning days are over
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »
Well the end of my turning is here I have just been to the doc and been told that I have left ventrical failure that showed up on a heart scan and I have been told I should give up woodturning and stop doing anything Manuel and not to go out in the cold so that is it for me but to be honest I'm not surprised I have had my suspicions now for a while that is why I started model making I find turning very tiring and painful which turns out to be heart failure well it was good whilst it lasted and I cant complain just readjust and hopefully live a bit longer LOL still it gets me out of the gardening LOL sink a few sherbets that will make it seem better .

So I'm going to sell up and get another small lathe just for pens and see how I can cope with that as I have about 200 kits to get through

woody

Re: My turning days are over
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
You could always do less.

Regards George
Thats what I said but was told NO but if you do be it on your own head the left  ventrical is muscle in the heart that pumps the blood around and mine is worn out 

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
Woody,
Don't give up ! Just do a little at a time, there are no rules to say that you have to stand at the lathe for hours at a time.
I have a 'heart condition', couple of operations and a pacemaker, I just adjust my time, if I feel like doing a bit (of turning !) I do, if I don't then well, I leave it till the next time. Best of it is you can just walk away from the shavings etc and clear them up next time, unless of course your lathe is in the lounge !
Also you can always pass on all you accumulated skills to others who are just starting out.
It's time for you to look at things,we're fortunate we had warnings about our health and can make adjustments. Lot's haven't been given that opportunity.
Take care and keep on turning !
Best wishes,
Bob.  ;)
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »
Woody,

I can't and won't say that you should continue even in a limited way, that's your & the Doctors call.

I'll say that we'll miss posting of your turnings, you are probably the most prolific person amongst us for photographing and showing their work.

Is it all woodwork or just turning, I ask as you post clocks and other non-turned items as well. You say you'll continue with pens, is that acrylic bodies you'll be using?

I support Bob a Job in his statement that you can pass on your knowledge and skills. This can be achieved by answering questions posed in the forum and maybe photographing and posting some of your jigs or set-up posed pictures of some of your methods. We can all learn from one such as you.

However you choose to go on, please take care of yourself and always remember the community of friends you have joined and become an active part of in this forum.

Regards,

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
Hello Woody, I am sorry to hear of your health problems,I will miss seeing your turned pieces I agree with Bryan you have been very prolific in posting your turnings I think I asked you once if you ever went to bed also stay on the Forum and pass on your experience to others. All of the Very best for the Future. Regards John.
John Smith

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
Sorry to hear this Woody, i wish you well for the future and and look forward to seeing your finished pens ...  ;)

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
I've only been on this forum for a short while but I have enjoyed reading your posts Woody.
I am sorry to hear of your news but the doctor didn't say you had to stop putting posts on this forum. you must have a wealth of expertise which would help us novices!!!
Best Wishes for the future.

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »
woody dont give in just swap the lathe out for a one way sit down one i may know were one is going for sale in lincolnshire if he still has it let me know

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
Hello Woody,
                  I am sorry to hear about your ill health, but I think you should look on this as an opportunity to diverse. They say there is a book in everyone, how about writing a wood turning book based on your experience/s? If you did not want to turn you could get another turner to make the bits and then photograph them as you want.
       The trouble with turning is it gets a grip on you and becomes your life and is very hard to give up but there are always ways to keep involved.
 Regards
John BHT

woody

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
woody dont give in just swap the lathe out for a one way sit down one i may know were one is going for sale in lincolnshire if he still has it let me know

Hi Ian
I have a small lathe that I can sit at but with the condition I have its not just the standing my heart isn't pumping enough blood around to keep my body going and when there is any exertion it takes blood from the muscles and diverts it to the major organs then I get the chest pains and i lose all the power in my arms

But this said I'm not giving up completely I will still try making small items like pens, boxes and small bowls and see how I get on with them but if my body is still saying give turning up then I will as much as I love my hobby I love life even more.

As I said before this has been coming on for a long time that is why I started model making so it may be a bit of turning one day and a bit of model making another but most definitely no more big stuff 

ru55ell1

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
Sorry to hear your news always pleased to see your prolific output. Hopefully we will still see posts from you and also some pen pictures.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »

Hi Ian
I have a small lathe that I can sit at but with the condition I have its not just the standing my heart isn't pumping enough blood around to keep my body going and when there is any exertion it takes blood from the muscles and diverts it to the major organs then I get the chest pains and i lose all the power in my arms

But this said I'm not giving up completely I will still try making small items like pens, boxes and small bowls and see how I get on with them but if my body is still saying give turning up then I will as much as I love my hobby I love life even more.

As I said before this has been coming on for a long time that is why I started model making so it may be a bit of turning one day and a bit of model making another but most definitely no more big stuff 

well any thing i can do let me know

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about this woody, I know how you must be feeling I have AF plus some other problems and my turning has been reduced to almost nothing over the last 6 months.   Sitting down is a good way to ease the problem but there is also something called pacing I know about it through pain management for arthritis but it can also be used for your problem.

It is a straight forward concept yet hard to put into practice when you are enjoying yourself doing something, I have definitely found it helps over the last 6 months.

There is a lot about it on the web if you search for "pacing pain" as always it helps to have the search filter on.   More info here http://www.painsupport.co.uk/pages/pacing.asp

john

woody

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
Thank you for trying to be helpful but I have been dealing with joint pain for many years now as I have broken my back twice in the past and have learned pain management the pain I get now is because of heart failure which is a totally different thing and could kill me believe me pain management will not help   

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
Hi Woody, sorry I didn't explain myself properly, like you I learnt pain management years ago and pacing is one of the methods I use and I have applied the same principals to my current heart problems.   I understand fully the implications of your problem as I am in an identical position, all be it from a slightly different diagnosis.   I took your previous post to mean that you could do a bit of turning before the symptoms kicked in, if I am wrong I am sorry.

I have found out that on a good day I can do up to 40 minutes of light physical work at a time before I need to rest for between 1 1/2 & 2 hours then I can do another session.   In the workshop I have a kitchen timer which I set to 30 minutes when I first go in there.   When the timer goes off I stop what I am doing and go indoors for a rest, I have found I can do three sessions a day without out it kicking things off.   If I go over time and it starts to kick off I have to rest for three or four days before things go back to normal, I wish, and I can do any more light work so I make sure I don't over do it.

It is a pain being restricted like that but at least I can do some turning all be it small things not the big burrs etc I love to turn.

john