Author Topic: A different kind of problem  (Read 3736 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

A different kind of problem
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
I have been asked to make a collection plate for a local church,in oak, and it needs to be lined with felt(or is it baize?).
       Not having done this before I believe there are two options, one is to get the adhesive backed stuff and cut it to fit in segments the other is to steam it to shape whole and glue it in. As always any advice would be appreciated. :)
Regards
John

Andy Coates

Re: A different kind of problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
I'd turn an MDF template for the inner bowl shape,make a card copy, turn the bowl to the template shape, and then use the MDF template to steam the baize/felt over. A single piece always looks better than segments. You can use a wallpaper stripper for the steam source.

can't wait to see the finished plate.

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
Hi John

A long time ago Turners Retreat some velvet in a tube which you put glue on the item then shake the velvet on. Sorry i cant help more.

Philip

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:41:05 PM by Philip Greenwood »

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »
Thanks for your replies,Andy you have just confirmed what I thought,Philip I know the stuff you mean but as it is going to be buffeted by coins I don't think it will last that long. Originally I wondered how I could fit a piece of felt into the bowl without having any creases but turn it on it's head(no pun intended) and you end up stretching it to fit. I might turn a ring to cover the edge to stop it curling over time.
Regards
John