Author Topic: Chuck advice please  (Read 9621 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
Chuck advice please
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »
Evening All,

There seems to be several choices of Chucks out there which is very confusing for a novice turner.

Any advice please on a chuck  that would be suitable for a Union Graduate lathe.

The money for goodies that I have put by is burning a hole in my pocket !

Regards,

Bob. :)
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Chuck advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »

Hi BAJ,  Woody is very happy with the Versa chuck 3, nodoubt he'll say more as to it.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »
I got the versa chuck and am very happy with it I have turned up to 20" on it, a small finial with and a pen with the mandrel held in the chuck with  no problems the only thing I will say is if you don't protect it from dampness it will rust I would say it is a very close second to the original Axminster super precision made by tolmex and a lot cheaper all you need to do is buy the correct carriers for the make of jaws you want to use I got mine from Tool post http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Versachuck_Jaws/versachuck_jaws.html

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
Ive had a Versa Chuck for nearly 8yrs now,and still very happy with it,so many different makes of jaws to choose from,you can get a better choice for the type of turning you do,not being limited to one manufacturer,but there are two or three new chucks out there now,so it will be a hard choice to make,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
All my chucks are Axminster super precision, and one versa chuck (mark 1), and an Axminster K10 on the little lathe. Never had a moment's problem with any of them. Precision, strong, and accurate.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
Hi Bob  --  I think you get what you pay for in this world, we have both Nova and Axminster Chucks at the club both are very good and very veratile (both get hard use & abuse) I have the Patriot chuck and think it's great. I think for the graduate you may need to look at the thread size and make sure you can get a back plate for whichever chuck you choose. I think if I had to choose between the Versa Chuck with a proper back plate and the patriot with the Threaded Exert I would go for the Versa Chuck however something in the back of my head says that Sorby do a 1/2" x 6 bodied chuck for the Graduate. If you are a club member (or even if your'e not) I would pop along to your local club and have a chat with the members there and get a feel for what they use. Hope you make the right chice for you Bob  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
Hi I have two Axminster super precision chucks and a K10. No troubles with either They get well used by both myself and my students.
John
John English

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
I've only used a graduate once but I remember that the outboard bowl spindle has a Left hand Thread on it, and I am sure that the chuck I used had a cross-cut thread such that it was equally usable inboard or outboard.

Can anyone else identify what chuck that you have been - probably a Graduate bespoke one, but they might still be available.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

ru55ell1

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
A word of warning, whichever chuck you choose look to the future.
I have 3 Super Nova chucks which despite buying on the understanding that I could change the chuck insert for any new lathe I purchased, I now find that I cannot get an insert to fit my new (Used) Vicmarc, only an excert whick makes for a long distance between spindle and wood.
My fault should have done more research ....  !

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
The Graduate does have a left hand thread on the outboard spindle, the clubs Versachuck has a dual thread for both
ends of the mandrel. Having looked at the Sorby website I see that there is a dual 1 1/2 x 6 block for the Patriot and
I have same issue with my Lathe in that I have to use an Excert as well. Perhaps manufacturers should use the
M33 thread as their standard and make Inserts with this thread size (food for thought)
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
I think most inserts and backplates for the 1 1/2 x 6 thread of the graduate are dual threaded for right and left threads,don`t quote me though,as theres alot of manufacturers out there,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world