Author Topic: Jet 3520B  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Jet 3520B
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
I aquired a new lathe in August after looking for about 18 months at reviews of differing lathes old and new,and finally opted for the Jet 3520B .This lathe has all the features I was looking for in my allowed price range(wanted the 4224 but cost to much and to long),but as it happens the model I have chosen does everything I ask of it.The first couple of days I tested the accuracy by turning some 1mm thick finials and miniature goblets,noticed with the first one that there was some misalignment,about 1/2 mm out,so had a look,wasn`t the lathe,was the new backplate for the Versachuck,so moved the backplate clockwise one mounting hole,now its all spinning in line,

Variable speed, on my last lathe Axminster CCBL 1100 this  was mechanical through a variable size pulley system,the Jet 3520B has electronic speed control through a 2HP 3 phase motor,the range on the old lathe was 500-2000rpm,the Jet goes in two speeds 50-1200 rpm and 125-3200 rpm,which transforms the amount of things you can do on the lathe,on the lower rev range I can now put big heavy stuff on the lathe without it dancing all over the workshop,just turn the speed down till it stops dancing and the power is still there being inverter controlled,and as it balances up you turn the speed up to suit.

Lathe size,the size of this lathe swung it for me,not to long,but still big enough for turning longish stuff and the swing over the bed,the total length with motor overhang (which most manufacturers don`t put) is 1650mm the lenght without motor overhang is 1473mm,the width is 685mm mearsure at the base of the legs and is 1370 high.

I went for the freestanding tool support as it can be moved out of the way easier than undoing the bolt on extension,ways a ton though,but on a clean floor slides without to much strain on the back.and with this I can turn things up to nearly 2m across (shed size stopping anything larger) instead of about 980mm over the bed extension.

The Axminster AWVSWL 1200B now has the same motor as the Jet,but the Jet weighs in at 326k (About 720 lbs) which is another advantage over the Axminster,Wivamac,Record etc;being 200-300 lbs heavier than the opposition with the same power,being so very stable.

The standard equipment that comes with the lathe is a 355,, tool rest,a substantial nocky outy bar built like a slide hammer,live tail centre which is very heavily built and converts to a ring centre by unscrewing the nose,it has the advantage of  a moveable emergency stop button with a magnetic backing so can be placed by the nearest knee (came in handy when I trapped thumb,turned off instantly).

The headstock slides up and down the bed for doing larger turning at the end of the lathe,which helps with accurassy  as you don`t have to keep re centering after swiveling headstock.Another thing it has is reversing,which can come in handy for sanding and if you can`t get to something one side when end turning you can reverse it and turn from the other side of the lathe.I`ve built a shelf to fit in the lugs on the legs to store turning blanks/wood which makes it even heavier.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:34:36 PM by Eric Harvey »
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Jet 3520B
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
Thank you for your review, always interesting to read other peoples take on their equipment.

I have the AWVSWL 1200B and was considering the end-piece extension. Now I may have a free-standing rest made at my local friendly engineering works.

Two questions;

the Toolrest banjo has a groove along it's side for a travelling something - what is the something please, does the manual show it as an optional extra (or what have other people done with the facility?)

and... What have you done with the old Tyme Avon (I recognise the outrigger beam in the photos.)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
the grooves on the toolrest banjo are for attachments,I made one to hold my flexi lamp and can adjust where on the banjo it sits to find the beast place for lighting the work being turned,I`ll take a pic tommorrow and post it so you can see what I mean.The tyme is a cub the smaller one,I have that and a performance power lathe I`ve been trying to sell for a couple of years,i should try harder really,to make space in the workshop.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:36:08 PM »
heres the pics I said I`d take of the anglepoise type lamp attached to banjo on lathe,regards,

Eric.

Brian Hensby

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
Hey Guys
This is a brilliant piece of information as i am planning to buy the Jet 3520b In January 2013 and this information has sealed the deal for me.
Many Thanks
Brian Hensby
AWGB Training officer.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
Glad to be of some service Brian,you won`t regret getting the 3520B,its a very fine lathe for the the money in my opinion anyway.

dr4g0nfly,I`ve been thinking about making a jig to fit the gooves either side of the banjo to take swiveling sliding tramels (I hope thats the right word) with either a drill or router fitted to enhance the turned work,trgards,

Eric.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »
Thank you for explaining and posting the pictures. I can well see the use of such a feature, shame more makers don't include things like this - still, we can't have everything can we!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

ru55ell1

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
Great Lathe I have used one a couple of times demonstrating with the club at Axminster Warrington.

keithkarl2007

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
The grooves were originally for a dust collection hood. I came across the picture of the one that was sold in the U.S along with the lathe but can no longer find it. It could still be used for a home-made type hood or some other type of useful accessory.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
Brian,did you order the 3520B in the end,if you did,I`d like to know how you like the machine,just to see what others think of it,regards,

Eric.