Author Topic: Saving a bowl?  (Read 7948 times)

arcos

Re: Saving a bowl?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
Arcos,

I've just re-read a couple of the posts in this thread and realised that you'd said;

'I have just taken a large section of plum that I have drying at the moment and hope will be turnable in a few months'

I find fruitwoods (apple, Pear Plum) grow with a twist, for some reason cherry doesn't. This means that as they dry they can sometimes crack around the length in a slow spiral. Now I don't know about the Plum you have maybe growing in a warmer clime precludes this but it may be worthwhile keeping an eye on it or more likely part turning while green it and allowing it to dry like that before finishing.

Just a thought, I'd hate for you to loose all your plum due to not knowing this could happen.

Thank you and a very good point that, no, I didn't know!

I will perhaps take a piece and rough turn it and see what happens.

One of the woods I have here in abundance is Eucalyptus. I have turned a few small practice pieces using this and, although quite plain (very little graining visible) it produces an 'off white' piece and actually looks good for its 'simplicity'

The BIG problem is that, as Eucalyptus grows it twists, its very visible in even the smallest of trees. Any attempt to dry anything over 3" - 4" round results in it splitting horrendously, hence only ever being able to turn very small pieces.

I would love to try and turn a nice bowl but I just don't know how to stop it splitting.

Online BrianH

• gold
Re: Saving a bowl?i
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
More than one type of 'Awfuliptus' but I had some success after storing the log under water for a month or two, it still moved but not nearly as much. I also made a thin wooden hat out of the same log and the movement added a rustic charm which gives everyone a smile.
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 07:24:46 PM »
Arcos, if you can stop Euc splitting you're onto a winner.

Even the Aus turners I know tend to avoid it. I did see one turn a vase green, and when it cracked open he just made it part of the final turning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

ru55ell1

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
Ok stop us guessing where in the world are you ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »
Somewhere in Portugal.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

ru55ell1

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
That would be a touch warmer than here :-)

arcos

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
It is a touch warmer than the UK right now, by about 10 degrees only!

I don't mind telling you that winter here can be as cold as the UK or colder!

There is snow on the mountains at the moment (even an ok-ish ski resort would you believe!)...

At least we get a summer here that lasts more then 3 days  ;D