Author Topic: Bandsaw purchase  (Read 3422 times)

MITA2012

Bandsaw purchase
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
Hi, I am thinking on purchasing a Bandsaw, either the Record power BS350 or the Charnwood WS730. Does any member have experience of either machine? I am particularly interested in whether the Record is worth the extra £200 or is the Charnwood a sound purchase. Cheers Mike

woody

Re: Bandsaw purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
From personal experience with the Record bandsaw which I had some of the parts were made from an very bad quality cast aluminum like the top and bottom guide carriers which just fell to pieces 

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
Re: Bandsaw purchase
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
From personal experience with the Record bandsaw which I had some of the parts were made from an very bad quality cast aluminum like the top and bottom guide carriers which just fell to pieces 
I have been using a Record BS350 for about 8 years and it works great. There was a problem with the tensioning mechanism about 4 years ago, where it wore away the threaded rod, but Record supplied a complete new mechanism ( I was expecting just the threaded part) and it's worked perfectly since then. I resaw 5" planks, and occasionally cut veneer (almost) thicknesses (1.5mm) of 4" deep timber, without any problems. Like most tools, it is down to the care taken setting them up and using them that determines if they work well or not. And of course not using cheap blades, which are most definitely a false economy.
By the way, I have just read this back and am amused by my mixture of imperial and metric measurements. Sorry about that, but I use whatever system is easiest.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts