Author Topic: Finishing cloth - Tip  (Read 4260 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
Finishing cloth - Tip
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »
As you will see from a thread I put on here last week, I am a new boy and just turned my first 'Solo' piece, which I finished with Foodsafe Oil.
I applied the finished with a safety cloth and wore disposable rubber gloves to protect my delicate little pinkies - Aah !
Anyway, once the oil was applied I thought about looking round for a clean empty jam jar (All management'sTupperware boxes were in use !) to store the cloth in until it was time for the next coat.
But, rather than an empty jar I held the cloth in my gloved hand, removed the glove by turning it inside out and, therefore the oily cloth was secured, then it was a simple matter of tying a knot in the glove and Voila ! An airtight container until the next time you want it, simply snip off the end with a pair of scissors (from the kitchen) and away you go - Simples !  :D
Apologies if this is an old trick that you experienced chaps have been doing for ages but, it was new to me.

Merry Boxing Day All,

Bob.  :)
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Finishing cloth - Tip
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
Someone else might be doing this, but it's the first time I've heard of it...

...what a good idea.

Thanks for posting it  :)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »
If there was air left in the glove & as oily rags are capable of spontaneous combustion, then storing oily rags in anything other than a sealed noncombustible container could end in a fire.

I realise the chances are remote but you wouldn`t want to be the unlucky one, personally I don`t take any chances & wash out my oily rags under the tap.

Cheers. 

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:16:26 AM »
I`ve posted the link below just to add a little gravitas to my post above for folks new to oiling.

http://www.esfrs.org/blackmuseum/linseedOilRags.shtml

Cheers.

Doug.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »

Doug, well done on the link, on viewing the video, we need at all times to be mindful of just we have, how we use such and store them and the cloth, it's not a case of even binning them, I'll think about drying mine as I do over the rungs of the ladder across the shop roof trusses.

I have from over time, but not used BLO, Linseed, Turps etc.. it's mainly Danish I use, if it were in it's original can I'd read up on it, something to think about should we decant, have that something not sure what or may even mix and make that special finishes, safe maybe some, but then just what cocktail we may have could be a time bomb.. the man said: 9 out of 10.. lets not be 1 ..

All have a safe 2013.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''