Author Topic: Woodworkers Signatures  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Woodworkers Signatures
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »
I recognise lots of names, but don't see any from this side of the pond!

Are we playing?

http://www.mickeyjedswoodworking.com/gathering-woodworkers-for-history-5/
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Jed

Re: Woodworkers Signatures
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
Hello All, I am Jed of Mickey and Jed's Woodworking. I have been collecting the signed wood blocks for a few years now and learn of woodworkers everyday. I would like very much to have as many signed blocks as I have found woodworkers but the cost of sending a block of wood, an India ink pen and return postage is a bit costly. By trade I am a factory worker and have to watch my budget closely. I am just now learning how to send wood across the big pond and the costs. If anyone would want to send a signed block to me I would gladly add it to the collection. This is my email address: jedsphotography@hughes.net
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:13:13 PM by Jed »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
Okay, having started this thread I feel honour bound to point out the following;

http://www.oceanfreightusa.com/shipref_wpf.php which details the ISPM 15 shipping regulations. I've no idea how it applied to slips of wood, I have sent carved pieces to Australia that had been treated with an oil, and declared as such on the shipping note.

If anyone has further knowledge it would be good to post it here.

I'm hoping RPTs and Named Turners all join in, this will be a small token we can pass to the future.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Jed

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »
The blocks are ABOUT 3" x 5" x 3/4" US. When I cut and sand blocks for signatures I try and not hold to these measurements but be loose with them so the blocks of wood do not look like they came off an factory line. The few blocks I have sent out of the country I have declared through customs that they were autograph blocks and I left out the word "wood" and so far it has worked. The blocks I have are stored out of the sunlight and in indivisual airtight plastic bags except when I photograph them. I use India ink because it is the most resistant to fading. A lot of other inks and pens say they are permanent, such as a Sharpie pen, but in direct sunlight they fade within 3 to 6 months. I also try and vary the color of woods with knowledge of how the wood color will be when aged, (I try but it is not easy finding wood when living on the high Mojave Desert). For those that wish to send a signature block please include your name on a piece of paper printed out because some signatures just can not be figured out, mine is that way. Email me and I will send my address to you. I do hope there are a thousand blocks headed this way but I treasure each one and will care it it until it's time to pass them on. Thank you all!  -Jed

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
Hi Jed,

Congratulations, this is a great idea! I've just cut up some scrap Plum into firewood which I could have converted to an autograph block-wish I'd found this thread sooner. Thanks to Dr4g0nfly for posting it.

Some of us have access to Indian ink - my wife has some in her watercolour painting kit-so not always a need to ship a pen out with the wood.

I was going to suggest that you have a word with Kurt Hertzog to see if he could do something at the AAW Symposium in Tampa for you but you have blocks from most of the major US turners!

I;ll send one over to you as soon as I can.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Jed

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:35:46 AM »
I only have 139 signatures so far and even though I seek out the "big names" I also have those that are passionate to thier craft, inventive and those that teach. Just a not here; a few more blocks can in so I will try and get some new photos up as soon as can. -Jed