Author Topic: Advice needed please :)  (Read 27085 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Advice needed please :)
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 02:35:28 AM »

Hi Philip,  I liked the look of the K10 on the Axminster stand at Daventy last year, they said to have the K10 for the AWVSL Midi-lathe, (which I'd been looking at, as the wife had expressed an interest in turning herself, but their show price was dearer than from the shop) as the K10 takes all the 100m range of jaws, it's compact and light weight, but not in it's holding power, and cuts down on overhang.
They've since had a deal on K10 and I was going to get one to replacement the wife's super precision chuck which came with the M900 for that reason, I'd have her chuck and change the back plate to fit my Mystro, so I'd have 2 chucks...   :)..  the only thing that was wrong with that..  no not the wife..   there is a differance in the chuck key squares, with my 1996 model and the 2006...     ???...  so I'd not have just the one key for both.. but mess with 2 and not have the right one at the time, so it didn't come about..   ???...  or was I looking at it wrong and it wouldn't have been a problem..

Regards.      David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
ok, so axminster will not be getting anymore AWVSL1000 lathe's in until April at the earliest, so i'll have to look for something else at a similar price, maybe upto £350 ish, any suggestions? Are charnwood lathes any good, I was looking at http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Charnwood_W813_Woodturning_Lathe.html
John Simon Lawrenson

Andy Coates

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Most of these lathes are essentially the same machine but re-badged for different brandnames. Sometimes you may find that the castings are cleaned up better on one brand as opposed to another, or, and this is not visually apparent, the bearings (for instance) may be of a lesser quality, or the switches Etc. But the machine is probably manufactured in the same Chinese factory and simply sprayed a different colour and fitted to a slightly altered spec. So...essentially not a bad machine I would imagine, and probably no different to the old Yellow (Perform brand) Axminster version which I once owned. It was a good machine within its natural limitations, and I used to destruction levels and never destroyed it. In fact, another turner still uses it years afterwards.

And the advantage of a new lathe, is the guarantee. If it does fail you're covered.

One last thing about this type of lathe...

the variable speed system is similar to the old DAF gear box system; a series of split pulleys that spread and contract to effect speed change. You MUST push the handle back down to the slowest setting BEFORE you turn the lathe off. And this means every time you switch the lathe off...checking how the shape looks? Speed down lathe off. Checking for sanding marks? Speed down lathe off.

If you don't it will put a lot of strain on the motor and pulleys and they will fail eventually. It can a pain remembering to do it, but it's well worth developing the habit.

I hope this helps

Andy

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
If i were to get the K10 chuck, which jaws would you advise to start with?
John Simon Lawrenson

Andy Coates

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
I use "c" jaws for (approx) 80% of everthing I do. I have five or six super precision chucks, each with different jaw sets, but the C chuck is most often on the lathe. My little Axminster M330 has a K10 on it, and that has only ever had C jaws on it.

Gripper jaws are an advantage if you plan to turn a lot of wet wood, but if you are likely to be using more seasoned wood then C jaws would be my choice. Learn to cut your tennons correctly - right diameter, depth, dovetail and slight concave on the base and you won't have a problem with anything within the capacity of your lathe.

good luck with the purchase.

Andy

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
well my lathe, bandsaw, bandsaw blades, and grinder have arrived. But no chisels or chuck! I have a K10 on the way, but no jaws currently, as axminster are out of C jaws for a couple of weeks. Axminster seem to be out of a lot of things currently, they should shoot their purchaser :)

The lathe I got was from Craft supplies ltd. http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/IM004 and seems to be capable of all i will need for sometime. How i will assemble it is another matter, very heavy, and will need to be bolted down I think. As my workshop floor is slanted (was a yard with slanting for water run off), will I need to make this level first? or is it only important that the lathe is not rocking (one leg not touching the ground), I ask this as people have mentioned twisting beds if it isnt level.
John Simon Lawrenson

Andy Coates

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
You must be excited and eager to start making shavings! And everything brand new! Lucky you.

As long as all four legs are touching the floor you should be fine. It will of course be a distinct advantage if the bed is level, perhaps you could cut some wedges with your new bandsaw (carefully!), and if you do decide to bolt the lathe down then bolt through the wedges then they don't slip...if they slipped while turning that could be a safety issue.

Take care assembling everything and enjoy it all when it's up and running.

Don't forget to post a picture of the first piece you make :)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
mainly new, yes. Managed to get a Sorby 447 sharpening jig and some skew chisels cheap, second hand. Also got a once used starter set of Sorby chisels off ebay 30 quid cheaper.

Very eager  ;D
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
Anything manufactured in China is in a big backlog because of the Olympics they stopped all production for a month to clear the smog, hence they are behind and we as cistomers are now seeing the result, hence the big suppliers have no lathes left.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
Hi Katchin, Have a look on the Sales Thread on this Forum Axminster 950 Lathe with Chuck for Sale Regards John
John Smith