Author Topic: Two Apricot natural edge bowls  (Read 4004 times)

woody

Two Apricot natural edge bowls
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
Fresh of the late this morning two Apricot natural edge bowls from the same log one 6" x 3 1.2" the other 7" x 3 1/2" both finished with sanding sealer and polish.
I am hoping to make two oblong bowls this afternoon out of oak and ebonize one with vinegar and wire wool as part of an order but only time will tell

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Two Apricot natural edge bowls
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Woody,

Fantastic as always, and a very deep shine too boot.

Black Nightmare (wire wool or rusty metal in vinegar) ebonizing fluid takes a while to make, It's not (certainly in my experience) a case of mixing the two together and that's it.

But post the picture when you've done, it really looks great when done right and works well with a liming wax.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
Woody,

Fantastic as always, and a very deep shine too boot.

Black Nightmare (wire wool or rusty metal in vinegar) ebonizing fluid takes a while to make, It's not (certainly in my experience) a case of mixing the two together and that's it.

But post the picture when you've done, it really looks great when done right and works well with a liming wax.

Yes and it looks good with gold gilding cream as well

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »

Woody.  Ace pieces again, classic form and wow finish, well done.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »
Ditto to whats been said.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
Lovely pair woody.

Just my "cup of tea"

Cheers.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
Hi Woody A beautiful set of bowls I do admire your productivity. Where do you get all of your Apricot wood from? I have never seen any.

Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
Hi Woody A beautiful set of bowls I do admire your productivity. Where do you get all of your Apricot wood from? I have never seen any.

Regards John
Hi John I got the Apricot from a friend who has a lot of trees on his land if I dont get to him quick enough it goes in his wood pile for burning what a sin LOL
These two sold to the same guy who had the ebonized Oak bowl I am having such a good week \my gallery is almost empty now so it is get busy time for the Christmas rush well I'm living in hope LOL
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:24:23 PM by woody »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Hi Woody I hope I am not taking your thread of subject you do seem to be on a roll at the moment and you deserve it you are turning some beautiful pieces. Where is your Gallery? Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
Hi Woody I hope I am not taking your thread of subject you do seem to be on a roll at the moment and you deserve it you are turning some beautiful pieces. Where is your Gallery? Regards John
It is on the side of my bungalow I converted the garage boarded up the shutter door and put a window in there and insulated it all and boarded it all out and I am waiting for a sign to arrive to put up but most of my orders this last few week are through a furniture shop in Newark