Author Topic: Shaping the foot  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Shaping the foot
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »
Okay folks, try this one.

When turning I've taught myself (as I put it) to see the curve. I can tell when the shape I'm creating is right or wrong. More particularly when it comes to slender stems or finials. But I seem to be able to do it to bowls and vases as well.

But... (and don't I hate but's!) I cannot see a foot. I never know what foot to put on a piece, how big, what shape, simple or ornate.

Yes I can see the dimensions 1/3 etc but I've never yet created a foot I am really happy with!

Any clues, directions to a book, on-line article or anything useful gratefully accepted.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
Re: Shaping the foot
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
Hi Dragonfly,
One tip passed on to me is to take the piece off the lathe and stand it up in its correct orientation. This is best done by removing the chuck/ faceplate from the lathe, leaving the work attached so it can go back on to the lathe without any misalignment.
It is amazing how different a piece looks when you view it 'normally' and not with your head on the side, trying to view it that way.
It may also be worthwhile putting a piece of wood/ card in front of the chuck to hide it from view, so you can get an even better feel for how your piece will look. If you get your head in the right position, it will appear that your bowl is sat on top of this 'mask'.
Hope that makes sense.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Shaping the foot
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
Hi Dave,
           sometimes if I can't decide what works I will cut the profile out of a piece of card and see if that works for me.
Some of the pattern books are pretty goo too, I use Dave Weldon's book, Shapes for woodturners.
Hope this helps
regards
John BHT