General Category > General Discussion

Old wood Lathe

<< < (2/3) > >>

Twisted Trees:
Chances are that the outside of the quill has rusted and attached itself to the tailstock.

1 Take the grub screw out of the wheel so it comes off (normally a push fit weld by a grub screw onto a flat)
2 Remove the lock screw (normally on the back of the tailstock, if it isn't obvious can we get a picture of that side please)
3 Try to unscrew the drive screw from the back end (should come out once the wheel is off)
4 Use penetrating oil and a mostly safe drift to get the quill out. A rocking motion of 2 taps from the back and one from the front should get you there
5 Clean everything and re-assemble.

Some grease on the thread portion is OK, between the quill and the tailstock I prefer to use machine wax as it doesn't collect sawdust.

Look forward to your progress report

Paulludd@hotmail.com:
Hi
     Thanks for info. I managed to locate the grubscrews at the back of tailstock, one was hidden by the stop knob. The whole shaft came out nice. found the grub on the wheel, but the wheels stuck tight, lubing up to free?? is there surposed to be a threaded part to move the quile in and out? The shaft just seems to move by pushing??.
I think I have found the make? I think its a Tyme?  Possably a SL750?

Paul   

Paulludd@hotmail.com:
Sorry forgot pics again.

Paulludd@hotmail.com:
Pic

Paulludd@hotmail.com:
pic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version