Author Topic: Orange Oil  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Orange Oil
« on: August 14, 2023, 10:39:38 AM »
It’s gone very quiet on here again, no posts for ages.

So, I saw some Orange Oil Wood Polish for sale so I thought I’d get some to try.
It’s thin like the Lemon Oil you can get from Chestnut but it smells a lot nicer. It may actually be very slightly more viscous?
Apparently it’s more for cleaning or bringing out the grain and then overcoating with something else.
Anyone tried it?

Orange Oil seems to be appearing in a few wood preparations these days.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Orange Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 11:29:59 AM »
I was visiting Martin Saban-Smith when they were testing and developing the Citrus Burnishing Oil, again an orange rather than lemon smell to it, as soon as it was on the market I bought a tin and use it as a workshop fragrance... It is a bit different to most oils as you do use friction heat to set it between coats (hence the burnishing in the name)  but does a great job with a satin finish which I prefer on anything that has an imperfection (inclusion or natural edge in my book) while I like a gloss finish on perfect round items I think it detracts from the natural organic items I usually prefer to make.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 02:38:05 PM »
There really are lots of wood finishing oils available aren’t there. I’ve been using the Liberon stuff for a while and that seems pretty good.

I used to use Danish Oil years ago but it could go very sticky at times so I gave up on it.
Some versions used to contain some pretty nasty ingredients as I remember.

This Orange oil is supposed to be natural, pure oil and with no solvents.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 11:59:45 PM »
In the UK we are mostly lucky with our "Danish Oil" as most UK versions are Tung Oil with drying accelerators, in the US "Danish Oil" is mainly Linseed  Oil based, and often a varnish with a teaspoon of some oil in it. I usually go for a "Food & Toy" safe finish even if the object is not supposed to have any connection to food or toys, it all has a shelf life so pick any one finish and get it used up before it goes off in the tin.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 08:27:33 AM »
Yes, I’ve had Tung oil form a tough film even in a sealed bottle.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 09:25:26 AM »
My favourite is the Chestnut Finishing Oil, which is their version of Danish Oil.  Gives a good finish and keeps for a reasonable time after opening a tin.

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 10:09:11 PM »
I have been using orange oil for a while, first seen in use by Greg Morton more than 10 years ago.
I use it whilst sanding, keeps the dust down and pushes the oil into the grain. you can also put other finishes on top of it.

This is the best deal l have found

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221695271757?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338956823&toolid=10049&customid=777_777_777

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »
I first saw Orange Oil about ten years ago in the Dictum catalogue.

https://www.dictum.com/en/oils-dbf/pure-orange-oil-250-ml-705277

The stuff I’ve recently bought is this one from Amazon.

Offline Richard Peers

• iron
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 09:26:03 AM »
I have a bottle of Gilly Stephenson's Australian Orange Oil that we've had for 20+ years, and use around the house as a polish for wooden furniture. It cleans and polishes really well, and has a really lovely orange aroma. I've not tried it as a final finish on turnings, both because I prefer a sealer/wax finish and because we're half way down the bottle, and I cannot source another one!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 01:58:27 PM »
Lemon oil doesn't contain oil from lemons, it's made from lemon grass oil. I don't think the same applies to orange oil!