Author Topic: rattle variation  (Read 1027 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
rattle variation
« on: May 20, 2023, 10:20:25 AM »
Just for interest my usual baby rattle and a three-interlinked-ring variant (just a test so unfinished).  Clearly the first is made from a single piece of wood whereas the linked rings requires two of them to be carefully split (only one split if careful) with a chisel and re-glued.  Not sure which the baby might prefer but I will make a properly finished version of the second and try it!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: rattle variation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 11:14:26 PM »
The one with the coloured rings looks good.  ;)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »
Bill - tidy version of 1 will be coloured too (food dyes for safety)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 02:18:07 PM »
Tidy version as promised.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 09:38:34 AM »
linked rings image for clarity

Offline willstewart

• gold
Twisted rope candlestick
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 10:06:53 AM »
Suggested by the real 'rope' twist achieved when the three rings in the rattle are arranged correctly (see previous picture).  Note that the 360 degree twist is real in spite of the rings themselves of course being flat - because they are split and re-joined after interlinking you can really get this effect.

Rather liking this I made this candlestick with 3 twisted rings around it and a simple flange below, with a glued on retaining ring above.

This works I think but aesthetically I think I would now go for the 3 twisted rings ending up in a recessed square groove.  But seems an interesting component anyway. Any thoughts welcome.

All from (one piece of) ash.