Author Topic: AWGB Poor Forum support  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Goldfinger234

• iron
Re: AWGB Poor Forum support
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 09:53:53 PM »
Forums may end up going the way blogs did several years ago (if not more). I used to follow a dozen exceptionally good blogs written by very knowledgable turners and woodworkers, but they stopped using them a good while ago in favour of things like Instagram.

Facebook is somewhere I’ve never been mad keen on, and people are right, some of the advice is borderline dangerous, but, having had a look around Facebook Marketplace, I must admit I’m surprised eBay is still in business. I’ll probably never need to go to a proper timber yard ever again. Forums were fantastic when that was all that was available, but if the younger generation are going to be attracted to woodturning, they’ll look at this place in the same way we’d look at the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2023, 04:51:37 PM »
I must admit to stepping back slightly as in the past when making comments on facebook I have come in for a lot of stick. I try to be truthful and helpful but sometimes when some one posts a picture of their work all they want to hear is "well done, what a beautiful piece" when in actual fact quite a lot of the work on the internet is poorly designed, poorly turned and poorly finished. Now I daresay I will get it in the neck again for saying that.

Offline Mike Amphlett

• iron
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 06:32:42 PM »
One thing I don't like about the forum is that when you click on a thread you have to wade through all post to get to the latest one, unlike the AAW forum which takes you to the latest postings. I have also found that it doesn't update that there are new postings even after you have read them until you leave the forum and return.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2023, 06:42:23 PM »
I must admit to stepping back slightly as in the past when making comments on facebook I have come in for a lot of stick. I try to be truthful and helpful but sometimes when some one posts a picture of their work all they want to hear is "well done, what a beautiful piece" when in actual fact quite a lot of the work on the internet is poorly designed, poorly turned and poorly finished. Now I daresay I will get it in the neck again for saying that.

I quite agree people are more thin skinned now. However if people don't want to hear that there is something not quite right then they shouldn't publish and ask for comments. Obviously you can just say that the piece is crap, but if you spot a flaw, poor finishing say, then it's right to point it out. If we don't then no-one learns and we start heading for the basement in quality, which does no-one any good. I was in a local craft shop recently and looking at the turned items. Some of which I would have been embarrassed to let out of my workshop. Due to poor sanding/ finishing.

The trouble is everyone seems to want instant gratification. Spend an hour turning, then 10 minutes sanding and finishing, and off the lathe whether or not it still needs more work.

I sometimes wonder whether it is only turners that have the critical eye for say sanding marks, the general public just see a bowl and don't seem bothered by sand/tool marks. It's a nit like only turners turn an object over to see how the bottom was finished.

Any way I think I might go and enjoy a light libation under the apple tree.
John

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2023, 12:39:44 AM »
One thing I don't like about the forum is that when you click on a thread you have to wade through all post to get to the latest one, unlike the AAW forum which takes you to the latest postings. I have also found that it doesn't update that there are new postings even after you have read them until you leave the forum and return.

If you go to your profile, then click "Modify Profile" - "Look and Layout" you will find a tick box for "Show more recent posts at the top". Tick that and then click update profile and it will show the most recent post first.

If you click refresh on your web browser, new posts will appear if there are any.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »
Absolutely right John I have been banned from 2 Forums for speaking the truth that is why I no longer use them

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
Absolutely right John I have been banned from 2 Forums for speaking the truth that is why I no longer use them

Regards George

Ha Ha, this made me laugh. The topic of banning has come up on another forum. You don’t need to break any forum rules to get a ban on some places. You just need to disagree with a moderator or one of their friends. Too much power and all that.  ;) One excellent suggestion was than moderators should only serve for a fixed term not indefinitely as is normally the case? 3 - 5 years before standing down for at least another two was suggested.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2023, 02:34:10 PM »
You could even hold elections for the moderators but that would rely on enough forum members being willing to step forward.

On a slightly different theme - one advantage of forums over social media is that whatever you post on a forum is instantly viewable by all forum members. Social media platforms apply restrictions so only a small percentage of people see what you post. This is aimed at encouraging you to pay for the post to be shown to more people. Facebook is 16% views so approx 5 people out of 6 of your friends or other group members etc. won't see your post unless you pay extra!

At the end of the day, we (or in this case the AWGB) are in control of the forum and that has benefits.

Offline Michael Beswick

• iron
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2023, 03:48:47 PM »
I am a relatively new member to this forum but have been on classic car forums for over 20 years. The problems are similar as I suspect is the demographic.

I viewed this forum a few times but each time it was clear it was not particularly well supported: the latest post is often a couple of days old. I went over to the AAW forum which is frankly far more rewarding.

Part of the problem is that one has to make an effort to view a(ny) forum, whereas social media is designed to hook you in (and basically flog you stuff to make FB YT etc money). So unless the AWGB see the forum as a way to either generate new members and/or new revenue there’s not much incentive to spend money trying to outdo the experts. In addition a forum is “for the members, by the members”, with hopefully control limited to preventing people being unpleasant!

A related thread bemoans the number of forum members versus the number actually posting. This is perhaps revealing, partly for the reasons I suggest above and partly because what they have seen does not interest them enough to want to post.

In effect the forum needs to become more attractive. By that I mean the content: simply making it whizzier is unlikely, in my view, to encourage those most likely to use it. It also needs to be sufficiently interesting to hook people so they visit more regularly.

Lifting some ideas from the US site might be helpful. A monthly competition with a basic theme and simple “rules” might encourage people to show off their efforts; perhaps with a link to “how to photograph your work” and so on. (My apologies is this in existence but I’ve not found it)

From the Classic car site- What I have done today / have on my lathe at the moment. What kit I’ve bought / considering buying. Clearly the existing categories may get a bit blurred: there’s a balance between everything in together and so many categories that people turn off.

It will also need a good shove from well known committed members with an understanding of a point made earlier. As an experienced turner you had heard the (newby) question a thousand times: for the newby it’s a first. (Most people don’t search before posting!)  To the extent of “creating” threads simply to promote the forum.

Forums evolve to meet the needs of the users, as it should, and does so for existing committed users. But the questions was asked.....

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2023, 12:05:53 AM »
To be fair to the forum, it is for the members to use not for the admins (who are also members) so the content of the forums is down to us as users. From my experience here several regular users do give prompt and sensible answers to any questions that get asked, so the forum works well on that level.

As is common now people ask their questions on social media groups first forums are out of fashion, I also moderate another forum which is dying a death as well.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2023, 04:08:34 PM »
A while back the AWGB was running a monthly online competition with prizes donated by some of the traders. The number of entries was so low the competition just fizzled out.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2023, 06:19:01 PM »
A while back the AWGB was running a monthly online competition with prizes donated by some of the traders. The number of entries was so low the competition just fizzled out.

Having other hobbies I have never been a prolific wood turner. I do try to enter my local club competitions but I’m often not able to. At this moment in time I have so much rubbish and other stuff in my shed I can barely get in there, let alone do any work.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 09:35:06 PM »
I am a relatively new member to this forum but have been on classic car forums for over 20 years. The problems are similar as I suspect is the demographic.

I viewed this forum a few times but each time it was clear it was not particularly well supported: the latest post is often a couple of days old. I went over to the AAW forum which is frankly far more rewarding.

Part of the problem is that one has to make an effort to view a(ny) forum, whereas social media is designed to hook you in (and basically flog you stuff to make FB YT etc money). So unless the AWGB see the forum as a way to either generate new members and/or new revenue there’s not much incentive to spend money trying to outdo the experts. In addition a forum is “for the members, by the members”, with hopefully control limited to preventing people being unpleasant!

A related thread bemoans the number of forum members versus the number actually posting. This is perhaps revealing, partly for the reasons I suggest above and partly because what they have seen does not interest them enough to want to post.

In effect the forum needs to become more attractive. By that I mean the content: simply making it whizzier is unlikely, in my view, to encourage those most likely to use it. It also needs to be sufficiently interesting to hook people so they visit more regularly.

Lifting some ideas from the US site might be helpful. A monthly competition with a basic theme and simple “rules” might encourage people to show off their efforts; perhaps with a link to “how to photograph your work” and so on. (My apologies is this in existence but I’ve not found it)

From the Classic car site- What I have done today / have on my lathe at the moment. What kit I’ve bought / considering buying. Clearly the existing categories may get a bit blurred: there’s a balance between everything in together and so many categories that people turn off.

It will also need a good shove from well known committed members with an understanding of a point made earlier. As an experienced turner you had heard the (newby) question a thousand times: for the newby it’s a first. (Most people don’t search before posting!)  To the extent of “creating” threads simply to promote the forum.

Forums evolve to meet the needs of the users, as it should, and does so for existing committed users. But the questions was asked.....

The problem with competitions is that someone has to organise and run them, and unfortunately many of the current committee are run off their feet with the day to day running of AWGB. As Paul H. knows a great deal of time is spent on stuff not immediately obvious to members. Last week as an example as membership Sec., I spent approx 12 1/2 hours doing AWGB work. That doesn't leave a lot of spare time for other things.

Also it should be borne in mind when looking at what happens on American sites, that they are run with a mix of volunteer and paid employees.

Russell does put out a regular request for additional volunteers, and receives very little (if any) response. We would like more help in the running of the Association even if not as a full committee member.

From past experience forums (and before that newsgroups) were always frequented by far more readers than active participants, now of course there can be a delay before your question is answered on the forum, whereas you will immediate responses on social media, which may or may not be right or safe.

John