Author Topic: Candle Cups  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Candle Cups
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 11:45:12 AM »
Before you go any further John I’d ask for an unused candle so you’re absolutely sure of the size. Church candles appear to come in imperial sizes. The nearest being 1 1/2” (38.1mm).

Edit:

These folks sell Church candle sockets but they aren’t cheap.

https://charlesfarris.co.uk/catalog/brass-candle-sockets

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:01:19 PM by Bill21 »

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 08:41:29 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that. Apparently larger candles sit in sockets rather cups. Who knew!
I have found some from a company called Holyart, at about £12 a pop. Just waiting to hear if the budget goes that far.

From this I have learnt that no good deed goes off with out a hitch  ;)

Thanks for all your help. 1 1/2 inc church candles don't seem as popular as other sizes.
Hopefully my search is at an end, fingers crossed.
John

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 07:14:29 AM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that. Apparently larger candles sit in sockets rather cups. Who knew!
I have found some from a company called Holyart, at about £12 a pop. Just waiting to hear if the budget goes that far.

From this I have learnt that no good deed goes off with out a hitch  ;)

Thanks for all your help. 1 1/2 inc church candles don't seem as popular as other sizes.
Hopefully my search is at an end, fingers crossed.

John

The company I linked to call them sockets whilst others call them cups.  ;)

I had a look at Holyart and they only seem to sell metric holders.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 09:54:02 AM by Bill21 »

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 10:07:47 AM »
You could make them from Pewter by spinning a disc on to a former made from hard maple or similar.. look on YouTube for metal spinning.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2023, 08:57:43 PM »
Hi John, Could you use plumbing stop ends? These are used to cap pipes. However the nearest size is 35mm which is close to your earlier post of about a stub being 37mm. so you may be able to get a good fit by waming the base of the candle and forcing it in. That would also make it good and secure if they want to 'wander about'.
This is a link to a plumbing supplier I occasionally use.
https://www.bes.co.uk/35-mm-stop-end-end-feed-9354/
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2023, 05:56:41 PM »
Well the budget does go to £12 for the socket, although I think I have found a cheaper version on flea bay. I have emailed the seller for a few more details before parting with the hard earned cash.

I did think about metal spinning, but decided, by the time I had sourced the metal learnt how to do it, it would probably be more expensive -in time at least, which i never have enough of.

The pipe cap does look appealing, but it the candles don't pop in then they probably won't get used.

Thanks for all your help.
John