Author Topic: Band sawing Green native hard wood for bowl blanks  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Re: Band sawing Green native hard wood for bowl blanks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 12:23:18 PM »
My blades are covered in white residue as are the tyres on both wheels.  Can anyone advise what to use to clean please?  Thank you in anticipation.
I cut a lot of green wood and experience the same problem.  A few of the things I do to help include:
  • Make sure that you have an efficient extractor device (plenty of suck) attached to the dust extraction port and always ensure it is running whilst cutting.
  • I use the Axminster blade cleaner but never on the wheel tyres as it can attack and degrade the rubber (advice given by Axminster).
  • To clean the tyres I simply scrape the rubber surface with a blunt knife (best done with the wheels removed).  If cleaning isn't done there is significant loss of traction in use between the metal of the blade and the tyres.
  • After removing an encrusted blade, I spray it with the Axminster cleaner but the residue still needs clearing by scraping the blade and using a plastic mounted thumb-tack to dislodge impacted debris from the teeth.  Fiddly and time consuming but necessary to ensure the blade continues to cut efficiently and true
My Bandsaw (Record Power BS300) is fitted with a wheel cleaning brush (pictured) which is reasonably efficient at clearing some of the debris  This is adjustable and can be moved down to compensate for the bristles wearing away.

Tim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:27:52 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks for that Tim. I’ve got a BS300 so I’ll have to look at adjusting the brush.  ;)

Offline Richard_C

• iron
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023, 12:53:54 PM »

• To clean the tyres I simply scrape the rubber surface with a blunt knife (best done with the wheels removed). 

Tim
One of the very many uses for expired membership cards and suchlike,   I never throw them away so there is a small pile in the garage.  Less chance of damage.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2023, 01:19:47 PM »
I bought a packet of 100 plastic Scraperite blades for not much money. They are quite sharp and they sell a holder for them as well. I’ve used them for lots of jobs around the house where a metal blade may cause damage. They sell several grades, I use the blue ones.  ;)