Author Topic: Versachuck  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Alan Wallington

• iron
Versachuck
« on: December 15, 2022, 06:22:40 PM »
Hi Everyone

I know this probably an old question, but one I cannot find a good answer for, will my Axminster chuck carriers fit the Versachuck (3) body?

Background. When I started woodturning about twenty years or so ago, I purchased an APTC M900 lathe. It came with a clubman chuck, with a 1x8tpi thread. So since then I have built up a collection of jaws and carriers. I have now purchased a secondhand 10x18 midi lathe for demonstrating purposes. Ideally, I would like to buy another chuck, and the Versa chuck, with a 1x8 tpi backplate, seems to answer all my wishes, if the claim that it will accommodate all carriers is true. Can anyone confirm this?

Alan Wallington

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Versachuck
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 10:51:22 PM »
Yes they will, https://youtu.be/1cbJkUY2LWQ is my video on just that subject.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
If you mean the chuck jaws then no, apparently the jaws themselves are not interchangeable between the Axminster and Versachuck bodies. Only the top jaws, sometimes called accessory jaws are interchangeable.

If you look at the chuck jaws on the vendors site you can see that the area of the jaws that enters the chuck body are quite different from the current Axminster jaws.

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/toolpost-versachuck-wood-lathe-chucks/jaw-carriers-slides-for-versachuck-lathe-chucks/versachuck-and-axminster-compatible-jaw-carriers-jaw-slides-for-versachuck-wood-lathe-chucks

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 11:18:09 PM »
Some of you may find chapter four enlightening.

As someone who uses both metalwork and woodwork lathes I find the use of misleading names for chuck components quite frustrating at times.  ::)

“The Scroll Chuck

The scroll chuck was invented in 1840 and has been a work holding standard in industry ever since. Many different types are available with anything from two to six Jaws. Three and four jaw versions are common and are manufactured with single or two piece jaws.

Using two piece jaws increases the versatility of chucking systems.
It was perhaps nearly 150 years later that one of the wood turning tool manufacturers realised that this system could also be used on a wood turning lathe. Up until this point several collet chucks had been produced especially for wood turners but the design never stood the test of time and production ceased, replaced almost entirely by the scroll chucks we see today.

Most wood turning chucks are made specifically for the purpose but this has not always been the case. Indeed you can still buy the “Versachuck” from Beaufort Ink which is identical to those used on small Engine lathes apart from its Jaws.

Terminology for scroll chucks seems to cause some confusion for wood turners at times. This has not been helped by some manufacturers renaming the traditional parts of a chuck with their own terms. For over 180 years the term Chuck Jaws has been universally understood by machinists. This remains the case even with two part jaws, the bolt on top parts being called “Top Jaws”. Confusingly wood turning chuck suppliers call the Jaws “slides” or “carriers”.
The bolt on top parts are often more correctly called Accessory Jaws.”

Sometimes suppliers actually use the correct terms:

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
If you mean the chuck jaws then no, apparently the jaws themselves are not interchangeable between the Axminster and Versachuck bodies. Only the top jaws, sometimes called accessory jaws are interchangeable.

Possibly historically incorrect naming, but Axminster themselves have used the name Jaw carriers for the part that goes in the chuck and engages with the scroll, and Jaw for the part that holds the wood.

I suspect that various patents apply to various parts which would explain the different thread used on the scroll...

The answer to the Original question is YES as long as you have the Axminster compatible carrier then Axminster Jaw sets can be used on the VersaChuck 3 (or record power or vicmark etc. as long as you have the right carrier or whatever you wish to call it  ;))

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 01:30:48 PM »
Yes it is a shame that Axminster (and some others) use the incorrect terms for their wood turning lathe chucks. Interesting though that they can use the correct term when supplying 3 and 4 Jaw chucks for their Engineering Lathes! I suspect they believe wood turners are perhaps incapable of understanding the difference between Jaws and Top Jaws as Engine lathe users do? Strange that the Germans seem to understand it perfectly?!

From a German supplier of Axminster products:

The OP has yet to come back to us but I believe the question was do Axminster Chuck Jaws fit into the Versachuck Chuck body? To which the answer is No.

If the question was do Axminster Accessory jaws fit the Versachuck with the Axminster compatible Jaws fitted in the Chuck then the answer would be yes.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 03:06:35 PM »
The video I linked in my first answer went to extremes to cover the difference in the bottom jaw / carrier / insert name! and what works with what...

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »
I still believe it’s unhelpful using the wrong terms. They are after all 4 Jaw Chucks, Not 4 Carrier Chucks!  :D

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 11:15:27 AM »
Axminster themselves have used the name Jaw carriers for the part that goes in the chuck and engages with the scroll.

Actually they don’t. I went to their website today and had a look at the manual. No mention of carriers, just Jaws mentioned four or five times.  ;) I suspect the machinists that actually make them in Axminster may have educated the sales staff?!

Offline Alan Wallington

• iron
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 08:31:34 PM »
Hi Everyone

Many thanks for all your replies and I do apologise for getting the part names wrong. It does look like answer is yes, but just to clarify things I will attempt to attach some pictures.

4 pictures of my "C" jaws, (Top jaw and bottom jaw) and a set of internal jaws.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 08:36:44 PM by Alan Wallington »

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »
Alan not sure the answer is yes?

I have both types of Chuck and the VerseChuck jaw carriers do not fit the Axminster unless the MkIII is differant from previous models?

My VC has a differant scroll profile from the Axi

When you buy the VC carriers you get the VC profile with what ever make of Jaws you select, it is the profile of the jaw types you can change i.e the screw pitch and locator spigot or recess which differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.

All the VC carriers have the VC scroll profile.

Richard

Richard

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »
Hi Everyone

Many thanks for all your replies and I do apologise for getting the part names wrong.

No need to apologise, you’re not the only one. Every chuck manufacturer that I’ve seen calls them Jaws, base jaws or in the case of Record Power Jaw slides. For some strange reason the the vendor of the Indian manufactured Versachuck has decided to call them carriers!  ;D

Offline Alan Wallington

• iron
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 07:59:57 PM »
Good Evening again.

At last the penny has droped. (Takes a time these days!) I need to purchase a chuck, correct backplate and the correct lower jaws to fit my Axminster  top jaws. I do apologise for not understanding this earlier. Its been a long weekend for me turning at Amberley museum.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 09:23:08 PM »
Good Evening again.

At last the penny has droped. (Takes a time these days!) I need to purchase a chuck, correct backplate and the correct lower jaws to fit my Axminster  top jaws. I do apologise for not understanding this earlier. Its been a long weekend for me turning at Amberley museum.

Yes, you’ve got it.  :)