Author Topic: Beauty or Bin  (Read 1059 times)

Offline ScottL

• iron
Beauty or Bin
« on: November 06, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »
Absoulute novice at turning but got my hands on a limb of a 400 year sycamore limb with a lot of local history attached to it. I began to attempt to turn a bowl. 90% of the grain is tight with some nice interest but a portion has grain with is tearing out and I don't know if I can get a finish to it. (Pics attached)Any tips on how to persevere with this?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Beauty or Bin
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 12:26:48 AM »
One problem most novices encounter is torn grain due to a combination of lack of finesse with the technique and tools not sharp enough. The latter is the easiest to start with - make sure your tools are absolutely sharp.
As for technique, assuming you are using a gouge, present the tool with bevel rubbing and positioned to make a slicing/shearing cut which will result in fibres being cut more cleanly. If you are using a scraper or carbide, switch to a gouge!

If you are still suffering with tearout, look at the piece of wood. The area where you are getting torn grain is the end grain (which is usually where it happens) and you will see two patches of tearout on opposite sides of the bowl. If your piece of wood has some softer areas due to spalting and it looks like this one might, try soaking the wood with either wood hardener or sanding sealer which will help to stiffen the wood fibres and make it cut cleaner once dry. If you do this, it won't take many cuts to get through the hardened section so you may have to reapply as you continue to turn the bowl.

Offline ScottL

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 09:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips. My sharpening skills level a bit to be desired so I think that may be my main issue. I took the noob option and started with 60 grit sandpaper and it actually worked. We'll see how the internal goes tomorrow

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
If you can join a woodturning club which will enable you to talk to like minded people as well as get some one to one help. Or even better book a woodturning tutor for a day. You will be surprised at what you can pick up in a day.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »
Looking at the second picture.

It looks like you are cutting near tot he pith (central area of the wood rings). It also looks like the wood is starting to turn punky (soft), it is almost impossible to get a clean cut on this sort of wood without hardening it in some way.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!