Author Topic: New Member and advice sought please  (Read 856 times)

Offline Hallelujahal

• iron
New Member and advice sought please
« on: November 11, 2022, 08:20:28 PM »
Hi, my name is Alex and I’ve recently taken to scrubbing bits of wood with metal bars and making a right mess of things! So I’ve decided to try and go about things properly. joined my local club Lincolnshire Woodturners Assoc, and also joined AWGB and am hoping to take some proper lessons sometime soon. I’m interested in some of the courses offered on the awgb website but as far as I can see the site doesn’t give a lot of info on the courses listed (ie. Place, time, dates, year even) so hoping I will be able muddle my way onto something fairly close to my area sometime soon.
My main problem is that I’ve been gifted a small set of (it turns out) rubbish tools ( labelled Messrs Clarke 🤪). They’re all I’ve got at the moment and it’s frightening and frustrating at the same time as you can probably imagine.

Anyway off up to Harrogate tomorrow (another first) where I’m hoping I’ll have my head turned by lots of shiny stuff. But since the missus will be with me I’m going to have to curb my exuberance as I’ll be on a budget. So which three good quality long lasting and easy to sharpen tools wood you recommend? For info I have a NOVA COMET DR MIDI Lathe and am wanting to turn bowls, treen, kitchen items, Christmas ornaments as well as pens.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: New Member and advice sought please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 03:41:38 AM »
If you are starting from scratch and buying only three tools, I would suggest a 3/4" spindle roughing gouge, a 6mm parting tool and a 1/2" spindle gouge.

Offline Hallelujahal

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 05:49:22 AM »
Hi Paul many thanks for your advice. Off up to Harrogate this morning so I’ll have a good look there 😀👍
Al

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »
I advise newcomers to get some experience turning between centres first so I suggest a 1” or 1 1/4” Spindle rouging gouge, a 3/8” spindle gouge and a thin parting tool. The last item wastes less wood and is handy for stuff like treen and small boxes etc. It also makes grain matching easier. Good luck with the new hobby!  :) Any more questions just ask away.

Offline Hallelujahal

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 10:11:58 PM »
Thanks for this advice, coincidentally it’s just what I’ve purchased😀

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 09:01:33 PM »
Hi Al, Hope you and the wife enjoyed the day at Harrogate. There were a few of the best turners in GB there to give you lots of good advice and even more equipment to whet your appetite. It would have been a great experience for your first show. I expect there will be some good tutors up at Lincolnshire Woodturners that will give you some lessons, Christmas is coming and a day with one of the local professionals would make a great Christmas Present. Enjoy the hobby and welcome to the forum.  --  Julian --
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Hallelujahal

• iron
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »
Thanks Julian, I met some great folk at Harrogate and introduced myself to the guys on the AWGB stand there as well. I spent way too much money 😁😁 but am happy that it was well spent!
I’m now looking at the training programme for next year to if I can find some suitable courses for my abilities and that will fit into my work schedule. Best regards! Al