Author Topic: Air compressor  (Read 1584 times)

Offline turningal

• copper
Air compressor
« on: June 03, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
I’m looking for some advice, I’ve seen wood subjected to ‘sand blasting’ before being coloured, like the work of Laurent Niclot. I have no experience of any kind of ‘sand blasting’ although I’ve seen hand held small sand blasters which look like they would fit the bill. However I’ve no idea what sort of power air compressor that I would need. I have a bench air compressor that I use with an air brush but I’m aware that this may not be powerful enough. Any advice would be welcome.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Air compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 04:35:49 PM »
I have a small hand held sandblaster and a small cabinet sandblaster. I have a 3hp 50L compressor and that's only just enough for the cabinet blaster. The air reservoir is depleted in no time at all so there is a lot of waiting for it to refill. I only use it occasionally so it isn't a big problem for me. The handheld blaster works fine with the compressor but it isn't anywhere near as effective as the cabinet version.
If I was buying a new compressor, I would go bigger! :)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »
Size matters  ;)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 08:02:05 PM »
I’ve got a small Clarke cabinet and I run it on a 2.5HP 25L compressor. It’s not so good for large stuff but it’s worked well for occasional use on small items. I can’t get large stuff in the cabinet anyway.

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »
I have a small hand held sandblaster and a small cabinet sandblaster. I have a 3hp 50L compressor and that's only just enough for the cabinet blaster. The air reservoir is depleted in no time at all so there is a lot of waiting for it to refill. I only use it occasionally so it isn't a big problem for me. The handheld blaster works fine with the compressor but it isn't anywhere near as effective as the cabinet version.
If I was buying a new compressor, I would go bigger! :)
Thanks Paul, just the info I needed.
Kind regards
Alan

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 07:31:07 AM »
When I first considered this, I wrote to Pascal Oudet and he was very forthcoming with info...this is what he told me...

Hello Les
Pressure: as high as possible, without breaking everything ! I sandblast usually between 4 and 7 bars. But you need plenty of airflow, so a good compressor. The tank size doesn't matter, but the flow needs to be high (depends on your nozzle size, but 36m3/hour is a good basis, I'll let you convert in cfm if you're imperial).
But you're right, it's slow. i spend from one to several days on each piece.
Pascal

Hope this also helps...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 10:23:58 AM »
I have been meaning to try sand blasting wood at some point. Do any of you know what media wood turners have used for their work? I ask because I’ve use Aluminium Oxide for all of my work on metal but I happened to try it on some white Nylon the other day and it stained it brown.

Removing all the media and cleaning the cabinet out before reloading with a different type is something of a chore.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »
Bill,

The most regular user of sandblasting, as far as I can see, is Eleanor Lakelin in the Cockpit Arts, Deptford studio. It's their open weekend next week so a good opportunity to go over and talk to the lady herself. If not, she is on email and social media.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 01:09:36 PM »
Thanks. When I have some wood I want to blast I’ll maybe send an email.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 02:42:19 PM »
If you don't want the Alox brown grit, try the white ceramic grit instead. That doesn't stain. I've used (and still use) both on wood and never had a problem with staining with either.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 06:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. I suspect Alox staining won’t show very much on dark timbers only on the lighter ones. I’ll try a small test piece when I get a minute.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
It is not about pressure it is about Volume so you need a large compressor to produce the necessary volume.
Glass is the best medium
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 11:06:03 AM »
Looking at the instructions for my cabinet it says:
“The air supply should be dry and capable of delivering a minimum of 10 cu ft/min at 100 lbf/in.”

The only problem with most of the affordable compressors is that they are horrendously noisy, mine certainly is.
It may be worth paying a premium if it’s likely to upset the neighbours.