Author Topic: DUST EXTRACTION  (Read 2376 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: DUST EXTRACTION
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 10:17:15 PM »
Most of my problem would be finer dusts, most of my chips and shavings end up in a large container under the lathe, my extractor unit is outside the room but when switched on the noise is loud !!
I am considering buying a 12" portable fan ,like the ones we use in building work to expel dust from the room when you are demolishing a wall etc  ,these I have used a lot and they sure expel the crap!
I would mount this in the roof space and duct it in 12" to the back of my workshop and outside, then bring the flexible 12" inlet into my craft room ceiling above the lathe and have it on a rise n fall cable to lower it to height above the lathe chuck.
These are relatively quiet units, and are about £100 ,light and portable and less energy consuming, I will borrow the one I've used for building work and give it a try in the next week!    Thanks for all your reply's

i used to have a 20" fan at the end of the lathe that blew the fine dust out a pair of double doors and if you can do something similar then i really recommend it.

the extractor was use more like a hoover at the end of the day to be fair. i did however use it on my other machines like my ripsaw and planer.

certain set ups can be expensive to some degree but if it's what your set up really needs then i see it as money well spent. 10 years ago my machine, 6" pipe from the machine to the cyclone and the cyclone unit cost around £400 all in.

Offline chunkey monkey

• copper
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 10:57:00 PM »
THANKS!  for your reply's ,it all helps,  I have done tests today with the 12" fume extractor ,and boy is the air clear!
It just takes all the dust from lathe area and is really quiet !
For £100 it may be the way for me to go!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
One of the best methods to combat dust in the workshop is not to make as much dust in the first place. Yes all of our work needs to be sanded but try to improve your tooling skills so that you don't have to use so much abrasion. When you do need to extract dust try to extract it as close to the source as possible. This will reduce the amount of dust in the air.

Good point.

It staggers me the number of people (including professional turners) that use blow guns in their workshops!
In most cases it’s just as effective and much safer to use a shop vac instead.