Author Topic: ID help - your experience needed  (Read 861 times)

Offline ollie_l

• iron
ID help - your experience needed
« on: July 20, 2021, 05:20:19 PM »
Hi all

I've recently come into ownership of a Coronet No.1 lathe. I've have been using it with the supplied chuck, which holds the object using a coach screw attached to some sort of faceplate - everything good so far.

In the box of spares, there are some additional parts I cannot ID. Can I ask for some help in ID'ing these?

Image 1 - items 1 to 4
These are clearly jaws, but what chuck would they fit? Any ideas?

Image 2 - item 5
Some kind of collet / chuck? Lost on this one, doesn't seem to work with jaws

Image 4 - item 8
Some jaws, but a very different shape. Again, what chuck?

Image 5 - Item 9
Some sort of threaded collar. Does this go on the spindle, and if so, what does it do?

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope this is a fun task, and not too naive a question for my first post!

Ollie

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: ID help - your experience needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 05:58:26 PM »
Item 1 to 4 are certainly chuck jaws for a chuck similar to a multichuck a pain to set up compared to the more modern chuck.
Item 9 looks like a thread protector which screws on to the headstock thread when using drive centres as the name implies protects thr thread and also can help remove the drive centre especially if you had an older record lathe with no through hole to knock it out

Offline ollie_l

• iron
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:25:45 PM »
Hi Derek

Thanks for the IDs, just what I needed.

As for the jaws, I think I'll leave them and save for a modern chuck - unless I'm luck to find something compatible fairly inexpensively.

As for the thread protector - that's neat. I'll be sure to fit that on, as I had a bit of trouble removing a morse taper not so long ago.

As for image 2, item 5 - anyone have ideas? Is it a chuck / collet thing?

thanks

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »
5 looks like some form of collett chuck and 6 are chuck jaws I suspect. Lots of chuck bodies needed as they all look different. Pprobably easier to save up and get a modern one. Make sure you have the right thread for the lathe

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 07:29:22 PM »
I agree with all the previous answers but these might help. They were never the best of manuals but at least they will give you some idea how  these chucks were put together/ used. Yes they are fiddly but they DO work so don't just discard them.

Regarding the thread protector. they are an absolute must if you are using anything in the morse taper. One of my students forgot, couldn't get the drive centre out and had to purchase a replacement spindle.

Hope that helps
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 09:46:58 PM »
Item 9 is an essential piece of that lathe, the lack of a hollow headstock spindle means you need the thread protector to remove any Morse Taper drive centre.

The rest of it is for an old idea of a chucking system that has been discarded in favour of a much better way! I agree with Woodcrafts to a point, but my idea would be mount it all on a plank as a piece of history! And buy yourself a modern chuck for actually using!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 11:03:51 PM »
yep, Thread protector plus a load of bits from an old fashioned chuck that worked on the wedge principle rather than the now universal scroll. What you dont seem to have are the two main pieces that screw onto the headstock and each other to make the whole kettle of fish work. My advice would be to discard, save up for a scroll chuck but get as much practice without it first. This will encourage precision and initiative which will form a firm basis for the rest of your turning career.
All the best
Brian