Author Topic: Anyone made their own carbide tool ?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Anyone made their own carbide tool ?
« on: May 30, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »
I have not used a carbide tool and will NOT be paying the rather elevated price ( In my opinion ) for one , I have seen carbide cutters for sale at afordable prices .

What I am not sure about is the steel used for sutch a tool body ( I can make a handle ) and the angle the cutter should be mounted at , I would mainly use this for hollowing as Std tools are very capable of most other jobs , I have a small metal lathe and a milling machine , Both are hobby types / size

Thank you in advance for any comments  :)

Offline BRIAN L

• iron
Re: Anyone made their own carbide tool ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
I have made my own toolholder works well and very cheap to make if you can get the right inserts.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:04:54 PM »
I’ve made well over a dozen tools for myself and friends. I’ve used mild steel, stainless steel and silver steel for the shafts and can’t see any difference in use with any of them.

Carbide cutters come in several types, flat, negative rake or cupped. Flat and negative rake cutters are normally used flat on the bar. The round cupped cutters can be mounted flat or at an angle to to make them less aggressive. Bars to mount the cutters on can be round, square, hexagonal or flat depending on its use.

Best advice is to study existing tools from top manufacturers like Hunter Tools or Simon Hope and go from there. The best fasteners to hold the cutters are Torx insert screws designed to secure metalwork cutting inserts. You can get them on eBay quite cheaply, the best ones come from Taiwan.

These are a few of the tools I’ve made. My favourite inserts are the 6mm round cupped and 9mm round flat. Any questions ask away and I’ll try to help if I can.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
Thank you Brian and Bill

Bill can I be your friend  ;D Please  ;D

Your tools look very impresive , Well done my Freind Bill  ;D

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 04:45:46 PM »
A close up picture of a few of them in case it helps.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
I must say your tools do look very good / Profession , How did you do this , I assume you have a metal working shop as well , How did you get the mat grey Finnish  , All very interesting

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
I must say your tools do look very good / Profession , How did you do this , I assume you have a metal working shop as well , How did you get the mat grey Finnish  , All very interesting

As well as having a MW lathe and Milling machine I also have a sand blaster! A quick wash off after blasting then wipe down with microcrystalline wax gives a pretty good finish.

Another tip is don’t make a new handle for every tool, just in case you don’t like it. Make some collet handles you can use with anything. These are some of mine.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 09:24:18 PM »
Hi Bill.
         These tools you have made look very professional and I compliment your engineering knowledge.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »
Thanks John. It’s not difficult when you have the right tools to make them. It’s not just about saving money, I really enjoy making my own stuff if I can.