General Category > Tool tips & reviews

Bearings on a WIVAMAC 1000

(1/3) > >>

BOB A JOB:
I have a Wivamac 1000 Vario which is suffering from some vibration problems, which leads me to think that the bearings need replacing.

Does anyone have experience of doing this on this particular lathe ? Degree of difficulty ?

Assuming that is I can get the correct size and type of bearing.

Thanks in advance.
Bob G.

Wood spinner:
Should be straight forward enough , Unbolt everything on the headstock and slide the shaft out , I have a manual somewhere , If you are stuck let me know and I will see if I can find it , Not sure if it's a user manual or a service manual

Paul Hannaby:
I used to have a Wivamac DB1000 and replaced the bearings on it twice. It wasn't too difficult to do.

Depending how old yours is, you may have two front bearings. Mine had and I was advised to get the bearing cap modified to use a single bearing as the double bearings which were originally intended to reduce play actually caused faster wear. I got mine modified and fitted a single front bearing.

The order of removal is - rear bearing first - loosen the grub screws and then remove the bolts and bearing carrier then file down any burrs left by the grub screws (so they don't stop the pulley sliding off). Then loosen the spindle pulley and then remove the bolts from the front bearing cap and withdraw the spindle from the front of the headstock, sliding off the pulley as you do. Once the spindle and front bearing cap is removed, you can separate them by removing the circlip from inside the bearing cap.

I think the trickiest part was getting the pulley to slide off the spindle because of the burr left by the grub screw.

Before you do all this, get a new drive belt and replace that at the same time.

From memory, the front bearing is a pretty standard sealed bearing. The rear bearing is a spherical bearing and that may be a little more expensive. No doubt Wivamac can supply them if you can't find them locally or online.

The interesting bit when you reassemble is getting the spindle aligned along the axis of the tailstock quill. this isn't straightforward and is probably the biggest shortcoming of the DB range.

BOB A JOB:
Many thanks for the advice.

I do have the Operating and Owners Manual for the lathe, which gives instructions on how to change the belt. It is necessary to partly remove the rear bearing. so, I followed this and just took it a bit further and removed the bearing completely.

The hardest part was removing the hand wheel, luckily the instructions advised that it was a Left hand thread, even so it was a bit tight.

The only way I could think of doing it was to drill a hole on the outside edge of the wheel , then I was able to use a chuck removing spanner.

Next job is to remove the front bearing and then try and source replacements.

John D Smith:
Hi Bob
         Try this company for your replacement bearings I have found them top quality and excellent service very reasonable P&P
 also fast delivery.
                              www.wychbearings.co.uk     phone number 01527 313575

Regards John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version