Author Topic: Abrasive Wax  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Abrasive Wax
« on: December 17, 2020, 08:05:55 PM »
I’ve never used it myself. Anyone on here who’s used it care to give their thoughts? I have the most common ingredients and the recipe is widely reported on the net so I’m sure I could mix some up easily enough?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Abrasive Wax
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:10:50 AM »
It does what it says on the tin. With Yorkshire Grit, it starts at about 300grit, but breaks down in use to about 1000grit so it can be used to finish "sand" from 240grit up, which is the finest and most dangerous dust nicely trapped in a mix of bees wax and mineral oil rather than floating around my workshop.

I don't bother to make it, a £10 tub lasts me between 6 and 12 months and puts a few coppers into Yandles stay open fund.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 11:06:49 AM »
Thanks for that. There seem to be several makes on the market but Yorkshire Grit is available as standard and fine. I wonder why that is? Yorkshire Grit has now been reduced in price but is still more expensive than Yandles own brand and the Chestnut version.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
The Yorkshire grit fine is as it says a finer grit, much used by the resin turners (I don't turn any resin)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 09:04:04 PM »
I have the Chestnut Cut 'n' Polish, it's okay. But I also have Shela Wax EEE, which I consider the best abrasive wax going.

I have also made my own from Rotten Stone bought off the internet mixed with a bee's wax and a liquid paraffin wax to make it very soft to apply.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 11:32:07 PM »
Having had a further look online many seem to think that commercial products aren’t any better than home made versions just more expensive and in some cases containing some rather unpleasant sounding chemicals.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
Having had a further look online many seem to think that commercial products aren’t any better than home made versions just more expensive and in some cases containing some rather unpleasant sounding chemicals.

It is a fairly simple recipe, I would make my own if I used more, but buying in the ingredients in the small quantities I would use is not overly cost effective. If you are going to make your own it may be worth getting together with a small group splitting the cost and make a batch. As I see it there are only 3 issues to resolve:

1 Proportions to give a long lasting "cream" that is easy to apply
2 Getting the abrasive evenly mixed into the paste
3 doing the above with equipment you already own would be daft to spend £100 on kit to make a £10 a year abrasive wax

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 11:33:39 AM »
I’ve watched a couple of videos now and it seems to be pretty straightforward. As in the video below I’m only going to make small amounts to try it out. There isn’t really much equipment needed apart from a pan of hot water and an old tin to mix it in.

https://youtu.be/htqbC3AZ7qg

If it works well I’ll no doubt make the odd jar for friends.