Author Topic: best sphere jigs?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: best sphere jigs?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »
Just to add, although I made some observations of it, the Vermec jig linked in the OP looks far more solid made almost entirely of steel by the look of it.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
it looks a cracker i'm just not sure i want to pay 400 AU dollars and delivery for something that i'll eventually sell and not get most of my money back for.

might think about keeping it though.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
If you have a lathe with a modest centre height one of those jigs with the tall, relatively thin posts may be fine, on larger lathes though I’m not convinced by the design. I hasten to add though that the only jig I’ve used is mine and I’m happy with the design given it was made with what I had to hand. Some jigs though can be quite expensive, a German one I saw was over €600 and looked a bit fussy in design. Given the low cost I might be tempted by the eBay version. My problem is I like making tools!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 04:45:42 PM »
i want the tool to have resale value if i decide to sell it. not confident on that ebay one. there must be a reason as to why no one raves about the design???

my lathe is a Jet 3520B and if Lazarus can use one of his VB then it should be fine on mine.

i'd use mine i made if only it would do balls that small.

you can see mine in operation here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8gVf9UjV4

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »
Can’t you just make a new cutter that will enable you to make smaller spheres? Your home made one looks pretty solid, I can’t help thinking you’d be disappointed in the commercial one you’re thinking of. If you do buy one though and find it works well it may be worth a quick review as it may help others.  ;)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 08:01:54 PM »
  I have seen this method shown at a demonstration and also a sharpened scaffold tube also used the latter just being hand held.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mU6osNjfXc

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 10:25:12 PM »
i can not get hold of more of the steel to replace my cutter that easily.

the replacement i did find was not good enough.

i'll do a review of it if i do end up buying the gadget...

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
The eBay one works in the same way as this one. Although the one in this video is more sophisticated the principle remains albeit cutting metal in this case.

https://youtu.be/1AUPBj8cBQ8