Author Topic: HELP WITH GRADUATE LATHE  (Read 2295 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
HELP WITH GRADUATE LATHE
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to set up my Graduate lathe and I need to find out what size the Jacking Screws are on the Outer Leg.

I thought they were 3/4" BSW set screws but, after buying some of these found that they were the wrong size ! They need to be a bit bigger. :-[

So, before I try to get say 7/8" I wonder if anyone can give me a definitive answer ?

I do have the original Handbook and Spares list for the machine but unfortunately it does not state a size for the said items.  ???

Many thanks,

Bob.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: HELP WITH GRADUATE LATHE
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
Hello Bob,

you could try putting a nut all the way down a bolt that goes through the hole with the bolt head down and just wind the nut to adjust the height. I actually cast concrete for my Graduate (about 4 inches0 to get the right height and then used shims to fine tune and concrete fixings to bolt it down.
Hope this helps.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: HELP WITH GRADUATE LATHE
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Hi Bob
I didn't even realise that the holes in the legs were threaded. I just drilled the concrete floor and used rawlbolts to anchor it down. Mind you being a short a%^e, the lathe was a perfect height for me so I did not have to adjust it. Try LRE or GM tools. They will know I am sure.
Roger G