Author Topic: A turned jewellery box?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
A turned jewellery box?
« on: September 11, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
I have been asked to turn a large jewellery box for someone. I have a couple of thoughts but has anyone done one and if so any photos or suggestions that you are prepared to share?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A turned jewellery box?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
The word "...large..." can be very subjective; can you give as an idea what sort of diameter you're thinking of?

My immediate concern is of the possibility of movement in the timber with a large box....you make a perfectly fitting lid and a few weeks later it no longer fits. I don't especially like the hinged brass pot lids, but there are large versions available for this sort of project.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
Did one ages ago, dont know if I can find the pictures. Effectively a log sliced into I think it was 5 pieces, 4 turned into end grain bowls with a thick wall 5th was reversed and I think just tarted up, but may have been an upside down end grain bowl. Then a single hole was drilled and a dowel put through the stack, so they could swivel open .

Then I put them together with glue and paper in the joint, and turned the outside. Was quite good but not made another since.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

The lady is talking about 10 inches in diameter but like  you Les I had my concerns about that.

I like that idea @Twisted Trees maybe different woods so she could put different things in each and remember what was in each.

I need to find out if she is talking bangles as well as rings, ear rings and necklaces as that may shape some of my thinking. I need to get talking with her some more.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »

Only a thought if you go to our website there are some photos of jewellery boxes under Tony 2015 &  Diane 2015
    the insides are slightly off centre turned to give a more delicate effect.
    Hope you find the photos helpful.
    Kind Regards Tony  di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/