Author Topic: M33 x 3.5mm nuts  (Read 9007 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
M33 x 3.5mm nuts
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
Hi

I've been thinking of making some faceplate jigs for my lathe which has an M33 x 3.55 spindle thread.

Do you know where I can get a decent sized nut from?  I've found some at malpas tractor spares but they only look about 12mm thick and I;m looking for something a bit more substantial.

Cheers Dave

Andy Coates

Re: M33 x 3.5mm nuts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
I get mine here, Dave. Not sure if they do mail order, imagine they will do, if not give me a call and I'll mail you a couple.

Westgate Fastenings

5-6 Cumberland Place
Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 1UQ
United Kingdom
tel: +44 (01502) 560061
fax: +44 (01502) 517505

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
Andy,

Thanks for posting that info, I'll file it away for the future, for when I need.

By the way, last week my new Axminster 1200D arrived so I'm turning again.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »
I get mine from http://www.sterlingbolt.co.uk/index.htm they used to do male order but I am not sure if they still do.

They are 25mm deep/thick and about 50mm diameter across flats, I have a couple gathering dust in the cupboard you can have if you want them, just cost of postage, as I no longer use them.

I got fed up with messing about making sure they were in the hols flat and glueing them in so I brought a spindle tap http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Turning_Accessories/turning_accessories.html#SpindleTap makes life much easier and I think a better job.

john

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
John,

I like that even better.

Hmmm, my Zeus book tells me I need a 29.5mm tapping drill as well.

Assuming you don't actually use one, do you bore out on the lathe first and if so what sort of accuracy do you need to achieve to make it cut cleanly and grip the headstock thread properly?

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
I use a 30mm forstner drill for the M33 x 3.5 and a 22mm forstner bit for the 1" x 8 taps they seem to work well.   Toolpost recomend a drill 1/8" or 3mm smaller then the tap.

I have just finished a pictorial how to on how I use the tap on my website http://www.woodturned.co.uk/html/faceplates_etc.html

All comments good, bad or indifferent welcome.

john

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.

John, thanks I'd love the nuts for now I'll send you a PM

Cheers Dave

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
John, thank you for the detailed instructions on your website, very informative. Forstner bit's I do have.

Jean

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
I use the tapped wood method as well - it's the easiest and cheapest way of making custom jigs. especially when it comes to vacuum chucking. The first 4 chucks I made myself paid for the whole vacuum pump aand connections!

I have found boxwood to be the most reliable in terms of weather interference (i.e. movement), with maple useful if nothing else is available. I use an oval shaped log of solid boxwood and cut the thread into the end grain. That way I also have a naturally shaped handle that I can use to remove the chuck from the spindle, if necessary with the use of a boa.

So long as you true up the end of the log before starting to drill (so it sits true against the spindle stop), are reasonably accurate when you drill the hole, and use the tailstock for support when you are tapping the thread, it works! The benefit is that you screw the chuck 'base' onto your spindle and then true things up. 

I mostly use boxwood as the 'nut' part, and then epoxy onto that whatever 'faceplate' part I want to make. The advantage of doing this is that even eccentric chucks can be made easily - about 40 minutes from start to finish, including coating the whole of the exterior with thin epoxy resin to make it air-tight when I want to use them with my vac chuck system. 24 hours later, you have a long-lasting chuck that cost next to nothing and is made to suit the job in hand.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »
The nuts arrived today - a big thank you to John. ;D

I'm going to make a customer faceplate to use with my vacuum chuck but like many things it's on a rather long list.    ::)  I'll take a photo or two and let you know how I get on.

Cheers Dave