Author Topic: Crown Cryo M42 Razor Edge Bowl Gouge  (Read 1596 times)

Offline David Holden

• copper
Crown Cryo M42 Razor Edge Bowl Gouge
« on: June 15, 2020, 08:16:45 PM »
Hello folks! I recently bought this in the 1/2" long grind format. A little help needed though, is the bevel 60 degrees? I need to know before I start sharpening it as I don't want to mess it up!

Also, does anyone else struggle with push cuts when using this tool?

Regards
David

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Crown Cryo M42 Razor Edge Bowl Gouge
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:59:30 PM »
Sorry David, I don't have one, in case nobody comes along with and answer before you need to sharpen it, use a marker pen..

Simply colour in the entire bevel with a marker pen rest it on your chosen sharpening system at the angle you think it is and turn the wheel / belt / whatever by hand if it removes a clean line from one end to the other you guessed right, if it only removes at the base then too high an angle / tip to low an angle.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
Thanks Pete, if I don't find out off anyone I'll give it a go. Might email Mark Sanger, he's been helpful in the past.

David

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »
If it's the Ellsworth gouge by Crown then the angle is probably 60 degrees as that is the angle David Ellsworth uses on his swept back grind.
If it's not an Ellsworth gouge it's likely to be 45 degrees as that tends to be the angle used by most manufacturers.

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »