Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Really
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
and what on earth is claimed wood?
Duncan

It means the gallery can't be sued if the wood is not what they said. It is often a good idea to add "I think" or "probably" to a timber
description
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 12:07:34 AM »
I thought in the context used, they meant the turner had processed the wood from raw, as opposed to reclaimed wood where it was recovered/recycled. Galleries are a bit like estate agents when it comes to inventive language!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:04 AM »
I do not wish to court controversy here but it appears that those that cannot believe the prices asked for are mainly those that do not turn for a living, and therein lies one of the biggest problems of the professional turner. Hobby turners can take as long as they want to make a piece and sell it just to cover the cost of the timber in order to maintain their hobby whereas professional turners do not have that luxury.
  Some hobby turners do produce top quality work and in my humble opinion if they have put the work in to produce a quality piece they can sell for what they want. Others however that cannot be bothered to advance their skills and make quality items should ne be allowed to sell.
The piece in this item was made by a talented turner and if it is being sold by a gallery it is the gallery that sets the ( Final) price.We should applaud the maker for having a piece that attracts such a premium.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
I think that the turner's other work suggests to me that his/her pricing strategy is reasonable and realistic. This nest is significantly higher priced than the other pieces seen but the asking price would rise exponentially by the time the gallery commission is included. Burr Elm can command a high price and the initial lump may have cost a lot. Anyone who is non plussed by the price of this piece has not seen other pieces of comparable merit in galleries with an asking price several times as large.
Like Pete, I have written about pricing work based on my few years of turning experience. I have my own system which works for me but underlying that is the notion that I value the need to place woodturning in a realistic context and not to de-value the work of other professional woodturners as well as the time, experience and cost which has gone into a piece.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
I don't think there is a problem with the gallery price, well I don't have a problem with it anyway, just a bit surprised to see it on Ebay. I do have to say yes there is a problem with turners under pricing their work, but when Ikea does a 12" wooden bowl for under £20 no matter how crap it is it hurts all pricing.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 08:37:59 PM »
This thread/topic has raised many issues that have been around all the years I have been turning professionally which is now over 30 years and by that I mean earning my living from my turning be it producing, demonstrating or tutoring so that I can pay the mortgage, pay the bills and put food on the table.

My way of thinking nowadays is that woodturning in the UK is mainly considered as a hobby pastime with work produced being sold at craft fairs at prices that under values the skills of all turners because many are hobbyists just wanting a few more pennies to buy more wood to turn. Generally they are retired and/or have another source of income i.e. pension so thoughts of operating as a business and making an income are not considered. Consequently Joe public expects ridiculously low prices when buying turned work so those at these selling events who are trying to make a living have to compete price wise to make any sales/income. And so the issue continues. It’s not helped by the lack of support or acknowledgement of the craft by the Arts Council and Craft Council – sorry I don’t know if there is any difference between the two as I gave up on them years ago.  I had many conversations about this issue with Ray (Key) and can give a number of examples to support this claim of lack of support but won’t here. Having written that it saddens me that many viewing this won’t know about Ray and what he shrived to do for the craft; this forum would not exist if it wasn’t for Ray. It interesting that in other countries this isn’t such a big issue and it explains why many of our top UK turners sell and work mainly abroad. I know of a number of turners who have even emigrated because it makes good business sense to do so regardless of the cost in doing so.

So back to comments in the thread.
1.   Ikea bowls; Those buying such items wouldn’t be considering the items from Andy F – different market place different customer base
2.   Time taken to produce item; Irrelevant in this case! That presumes turning is just a production process and one applies basic accounting principles to price i.e. material cost, labour cost, overheads costing plus mark up. If a production turner then yes time is a factor but not for one off pieces of work as in this case.
3.   Gallery sets the final price; Wrong!. It depends on the relationship between the gallery and the artist. In my case I set the retail price and accepted the consequences regarding commission and VAT. My reasoning for this approach was that I didn’t want to upset my regular customers. Imagine one buying a piece and then seeing a similar piece priced less elsewhere simply because of a different commission rate at a different gallery.
4.   Price; Pricing is a game when making one off pieces. Can anyone reading this produce exactly the same item? I’ll answer that for you – NO. The next question is what reputation/respect do you have? If recognised as a turning artist (hate that word) there is a premium to be added to the price. A great example of this I found years ago when the Del Mano gallery existed as a physical outlet (who has heard of this gallery?). I saw a piece by David Ellesworth (know who he is?) on their web site. The price was $20,000!

Rant over and I do apologise to anyone that feels offended by my comments. That never was my intention. I only wished to give another view point.

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Today's world is upside down if the gallery is closed as it should be sell it any way you can e-bay etc and if someone wants it great. Regarding Ikea I make Windsor Chairs and customers are happy to pay my price which is 10 time Ikea hopefully mine will be an air-loom Ikea ???
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 09:21:52 PM »
Today's world is upside down if the gallery is closed as it should be sell it any way you can e-bay etc and if someone wants it great. Regarding Ikea I make Windsor Chairs and customers are happy to pay my price which is 10 time Ikea hopefully mine will be an air-loom Ikea ???

Spot on! Your customers know what they are getting, chairs made with the heart and soul of the maker and that is part of what they are buying.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:26 PM »
Far from being offended Mark much of what you are saying is what I have ben trying to get across (unsuccessfully) to turners for some time. You are far more succint than me. My view is that as long as there are turners willing to sell their work for cost then the craft / art in this country will always be seen as something of little value. I know of the Del Mano Gallery and have heard of Dave Ellesworth and it is a shame that few if any such veunues exist in this country. I tried for some years to get my work into galleries and ended up assuming I simply wasn't good enough until one (n ameless) pointed out that wood doesn't sell as an art form very well. When I asked why they said it was because it was so easily obtained cheaply in the church hall fairs, their words not mine. 'nuff said.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 11:35:02 PM »
Mark your mention of Ray Key made me smile, one of my most endearing memories of Ray was when I was on the AWGB committee at one of the seminars in Loughborough. Ray sat in the office holding court with some of the world's great turners around him and I was spellbound (and a little bit star struck I must admit)and I didn't want to go to work for fear of missing what he was saying.
I take on board your comments about setting the price and I have to say having read them I agree with you.
Pete one gallery that I approached told me if my work was not priced above £600 each piece not to bother contacting them. I suppose I could have upped the price on some pieces ( I have sold work in the past for £5,000 plus)but the pieces I had at the time were not worth that and it would not have been right to artificially inflate the price just to get it in the gallery.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 11:42:52 PM »
Far from being offended Mark much of what you are saying is what I have ben trying to get across (unsuccessfully) to turners for some time. You are far more succint than me. My view is that as long as there are turners willing to sell their work for cost then the craft / art in this country will always be seen as something of little value. I know of the Del Mano Gallery and have heard of Dave Ellesworth and it is a shame that few if any such veunues exist in this country. I tried for some years to get my work into galleries and ended up assuming I simply wasn't good enough until one (n ameless) pointed out that wood doesn't sell as an art form very well. When I asked why they said it was because it was so easily obtained cheaply in the church hall fairs, their words not mine. 'nuff said.

Pete
Thank you. I spent years trying to get into galleries in the UK. Spent a fortune on photographs (this was before the age of the internet and digital technology) and sending off intro letters etc. Few bothered to respond. For me it was a combination of events/circumstances that made me realise that wood crafts aren't represented in galleries in the UK and that I was wasting my time. I can count on one hand the number of galleries that show wood art in the UK, know what they are talking about and are worth considering to represent  your work. The only advice I can give after 30 years is try to educate gallery owners and keep trying. Occasionally you get one open to new opportunities. I had one like this in Cheltenham which proved very lucrative but unfortunately because of other issues totally unrelated the business closed and I lost a great income source.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 11:52:21 PM »
Mark your mention of Ray Key made me smile, one of my most endearing memories of Ray was when I was on the AWGB committee at one of the seminars in Loughborough. Ray sat in the office holding court with some of the world's great turners around him and I was spellbound (and a little bit star struck I must admit)and I didn't want to go to work for fear of missing what he was saying.
I take on board your comments about setting the price and I have to say having read them I agree with you.
Pete one gallery that I approached told me if my work was not priced above £600 each piece not to bother contacting them. I suppose I could have upped the price on some pieces ( I have sold work in the past for £5,000 plus)but the pieces I had at the time were not worth that and it would not have been right to artificially inflate the price just to get it in the gallery.
You say your work what not worth that. Your work is worth what people will pay for it. An example from my experience. I had a piece in a very prestigious exhibition which is still going. It didn't sell. I took it after the exhibition to a well known gallery and was advised to increase the price 3 fold. It sold within a fortnight. I think I said this previously by if not I'll say it here; pricing is a game. I learnt early on in my crfat fair days if a piece doesn't sell you up the price rather than dropping it. It worked 95% of the time :-)

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
There is of course the other side to this. I turn because I enjoy it, l sell pieces at those "horrible church fairs etc" (The money for the tables go to local) causes) I sell at that dreaded price that covers the cost of the wood and whatever else I have used.

Does that devalue the art form, l don't think so. What some of you don't seem to be able to do is separate the art form from monetary value.

I get that a lot of you make a living from turning wood and your prices need to reflect that. But please don't say us "non professionals
devalue the art form.

Why do so many professionals, go to clubs to teach those of us that devalue the art, if we are only going to devalue it more?

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »

Why do so many professionals, go to clubs to teach those of us that devalue the art, if we are only going to devalue it more?
Although it is nice going to clubs to earn part of my income(will this ever happen again?)it is also nice to help others to become better turners thereby increasing the value of the work they make.But also if you are good at making something you enjoy the process more.Well I do anyway.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 10:29:38 AM »
Not sure anyone has used the phrase 'orrible church hall fairs ' LOL. They domhave theirplace but if we wish to promote our art / craft then we need to aim at a different type of market. The shows that we do are aimed at customers who often collect art and craft work, are onlt interested in quality work that has a style and are prepared to pay for it. It is perha[ps the difference between going to Primark and Harrods. You don't expect to get the same sort of quality in both but there is a place for both.  Most people assunme that if you pay less you get less and whilst this may not always be true it is a basic fact of life. Hence if people see a bowl for sale for £15 they assume that is all it is worth not that they are getting a bargain. I have seen work for sale in lower end markets that re being sold cheaper than the blank would have cost which is perhaps an extreme but at least charge for your expertise, time etc. I have this little sign up at shows and it always surprises me the number of people who comment positively and ask to copy and use it.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities