Author Topic: Anybody there?  (Read 4520 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Anybody there?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
As my shows, demos and tuitions have all been cancelled for the foreseeable future I am focussing on trying to sell online. Spent today doing a video / slideshow as the organiser of our main shows is running a virtual craft event online for us all. Also running a meet the makers month on all the social media. Other days spent in the workshop making stock suitable for online selling such as bowls which I don't normally do. Oh yes, got a commission from a regular customer as wel lwhich helps keep is in wine and beer LOl.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
Ron, others may be able to talk about things other than wood but i can't. seriously, ask anyone who has met me.  it's all i know...

pretty sure i'd be diagnosed as having asperger's if i were to be assessed as i have all the indicators in spades. i'm very like Chris Packham.

not sure i'd ever have anything else to talk about if the conversation was changed.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 12:50:35 AM »
Ron, I went to facebook this evening, found it a pretty weird place to be honest, think I will stay away!  I got a certificate for finishing from Hampshire sheen and quite liked it so stuck it above my door in the workshop in a frame, Martin asked if he could put it on Facebook which was fine with me, but this evening after social isolated drinks in the garden with the neighbours, which was weird but sort of normal'ish except our beer came from our stock their's from their stock so no cross contamination risk, where we normally share whichever house we are closest to stock. I tried to check in on Facebook, have an old account that I never use, could not make head or tail of it all.

I did swap a plank for a 4"x4" as my neighbour does flat work, so much more at risk of running out of timber than I am, he won on this deal, but it balances out in the end.

Steve, you are definitely right about some form of Acer, I suspect Acer pseudoplatanus but that is more of a dodgy memory of what came my way about that time (it was when I first got into woodturning 10 years ago) it was the right size and shape for something I needed. unfortunately I have coloured a lot of it today, but have some face grain in the inside of the bowl, sorry very little end grain, will post a picture tomorrow, beer o'clock means it got left in the workshop this afternoon. As for conversation, I have met you, yes it was wood and turning based, I was there to buy your old extraction system after all, but we also talked about how we ended up where we are, you area of the world etc. pretty normal conversation all round I would say, most of us get focused you are also lucky enough to remember facts better than me, hell my own name escapes me quite frequently! 

Enjoying the playtime I am allowed at the moment, have a few projects lined up both turning and flat work, and have been able to order some fun accessories online and get them delivered, in a small way supporting the infrastructure we all need to make out chosen profession or hobby easy and enjoyable. We may not have much market at the moment, but at least we are not in the airline or holiday accommodation trades!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:54:58 AM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
There are more than a few Woodturning and wood working groups on social media with some good content and regular activity.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 03:15:57 PM »
Pete, i could do with a few more photos as the are so many that are white/cream with obvious growth rings.
horse chestnut, lime, sycamore and lots of other Acers can show these characteristics.

looks like an Acer to me though.

Steve this is the bowl as it stands now, I am 90% sure it is sycamore, but most evidence is cut away! And yes I am aware there is woodworm in it! this was my first attempt at colouring so I will be keeping it despite the worm trails!

I also learned today that sneezing while opening a bottle of wood dye is a bad idea!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:24:21 PM by Twisted Trees »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 05:52:56 PM »
just wondering if it is in fact a birch???

can you photo an area of quartersawn timber???  i need to see the rays if possible.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
Ron, others may be able to talk about things other than wood but i can't. seriously, ask anyone who has met me.  it's all i know...

pretty sure i'd be diagnosed as having asperger's if i were to be assessed as i have all the indicators in spades. i'm very like Chris Packham.

not sure i'd ever have anything else to talk about if the conversation was changed.
Steve, you are already in a conversation with me, gotta start somewhere! Lets expand it to what you do with piece of wood once you have indentified it.
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »

Birch was my assumption.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »

Steve, you are already in a conversation with me, gotta start somewhere! Lets expand it to what you do with piece of wood once you have indentified it.
Ron

i move on to the next piece of wood that needs identifying...

Ron, if you want to see what i do then check out this link.
https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/58060-all-my-woodwork-so-far/#comments

i tend not to talk about my work much.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:39:54 PM by seventhdevil »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 11:00:22 PM »

can you photo an area of quartersawn timber???  i need to see the rays if possible.

Sorry no, I had the one blank which was 10" x 4" roughed out with a chainsaw, needed to do a polish job on a bowl of that sort of size for an online course, the picture shows about the only real grain pattern going not helped by my cutting the rim at 40° to get more surface to colour.

It really isn't important, this piece is more about the wood dye than the wood, and because of the woodworm tracks it won't be going outside my house anyway.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
i'll stick to the Acer genus then as the grain line and the knot at the back of the bowl all look like you see in the maples rather than the birches.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 09:47:44 AM »
" . . . needed to do a polish job on a bowl of that sort of size for an online course"

Hi TT, do you mind if I ask what the course is? Do you have a link to it?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 11:43:53 AM »
It was the Hampshire Sheen Live Stream course, that one was last week but he is back on tonight doing a live stream on the Robert Sorby ProEdge. https://www.msabansmith.com/corona-schedule/,

Also Just learned that Axminster Tools are also doing them in YouTube.Com search for #SkillCentreAtHome, not watched any yet but got to be worth a look at some point.

There are other Demonstrators out there who as they can't get to shops and clubs are trying things online, it helps to fill the time and in my opinion is far better than East Enders if that is still going...

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
It was the Hampshire Sheen Live Stream course, that one was last week but he is back on tonight doing a live stream on the Robert Sorby ProEdge. https://www.msabansmith.com/corona-schedule/,

Also Just learned that Axminster Tools are also doing them in YouTube.Com search for #SkillCentreAtHome, not watched any yet but got to be worth a look at some point.

There are other Demonstrators out there who as they can't get to shops and clubs are trying things online, it helps to fill the time and in my opinion is far better than East Enders if that is still going...
Sadly it still is!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »

The light pull tree, I will grow another one next year If I can get the seeds!