Author Topic: OAK HOLLOW FORM  (Read 1413 times)

Offline wider

• gold
OAK HOLLOW FORM
« on: January 31, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
Oak hollow form turned from a green oak 6x6x9 in size. Oiled with danish oil. It has 2 coats up till now and going to have another 4 coats to finish. All comments welcome.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:53:51 PM by wider »

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: OAK HOLLOW FORM
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »
That banish oil didn't work, I can still see it:) (sorry!)
Interesting shape, I will study it some more as I don't know what to make of it . . . .

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
thank you for pointing the mistake have sorted it out now.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »
Like Mike, I'm struggling with this one. The line of the pot flows well through the wall, which makes the pot a pleasing shape rather like a round-bottomed amphora, but I just don't see what the wall brings to this piece. I could imagine carving 95% of the wall away to leave two legs to keep the amphora propped up at a jaunty angle, but the wall just distracts the eye too much,
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:45:06 AM »
I think this piece is one of the most interesting to have appeared on here for a while. Like Les I am struggling with it but, unusually for me, am having trouble identifying exactly why. Here are my current thoughts, for what they are worth (they are different from yesterday and may well differ again tomorrow!).
The basic problem, as I see it, is that the hollow form and its surrounding 'wall' are at odds with each other. The form having the weight and proportion of a utilitarian piece while the wall is obviously purely decorative.
So how would I make a mark 2? I think the opening, and probably the form's girth, are too large and overpower the thin wall.
With the smaller opening the shapes above and below the wall could then be closer to a mirror image and the smaller girth would offer the wall more prominence.
A little piercing added around the opening might also demonstrate the thinness of the form and give the whole a lighter, more elegant feel.
Thank you Mr Wider for exercizing my critiquing muscles. I enjoy this kind of challenge every bit as much as making something new. I am much harder on my own pieces, incidentally!!!
Brian