Author Topic: Newbie wondering what to do  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Spiggy

• iron
Newbie wondering what to do
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:58 PM »
Hi all,
Just thought I'd join the forum and get involved a bit. I'm new to the lathe and woodturning and any sort of woodwork really. I live just outside Norwich and last year I inherited a Record Power Power DML36-SH Mk2 from my granddad who, at the ripe old age of 96 has decided it's a bit too much for him now. I've had a little play around on the lathe and managed to knock up a rather oversized honey dibber and just done a few practice pieces carving out random shapes on spindles but not really made anything yet. I've got a few different attachments for the Nova 3 scroll chuck, various gouges and chisels (although I have no idea what a lot of them are)

Anyway, I've just managed to find someone at work who had some large pieces of wood from a tree they had just cut back and said I could have them. So, now I have about 2 pieces about 1ft diameter by 2 ft length, 2 pieces are about 1ft x 1ft and without knowing the technical term, sort of Y shaped and 4 pieces about 8 inch diameter by 3ft length... What do I do with them?  :D I've heard turning green wood is maybe a bit easier for beginners so do I just cut them up and slap on the lathe? I've seen various YouTube videos of woodwork witchcraft involving covering the ends in PVA, wrapping in clingfilm. Do I need to chop these big bits up smaller and leave them to dry out a bit? Do I just cut them into simple disks or I've read about quarter sawing but I'm not sure if these are big enough for that.

I know there's loads of options and everyone has their own ways but I'm just putting it out there to see what people think and to get a nudge in the right direction. I also want to get on and make something otherwise I'll just be acquiring tools but not actually doing anything with them.

Thanks,
Baz

PS. I've also no idea what type of tree this came from so if anyone can help me with that then that would be really nice to know. I can get better pictures if needed

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Newbie wondering what to do
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
hi Spiggy, welcome to addiction.
Im based at Caister on Sea and am glad to help if you fancy the trip. We have a small club based in Great Yarmouth, Priory Centre (next meeting June 11th stating at 19.00hrs). you are more than welcome to give us a look. There is another, much larger, club in Sprowston.
Im telling you this because you sound like you really need some hands on help before you start teaching yourself a load of stuff which will then need unlearning at some later date. That's a trap I fell into some years ago and trying to unlearn and start again is far harder than getting it right in the first place.
 All the best with whatever you decide
Brian

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:32:05 PM »
If you don't have wood processing tools those logs are going to be more trouble than they are worth. If you do then chop them up and use them to make some fancy firewood. Yes covering the end grain in PVA or wax or emulsion paint is a part, but turning trees into timber is an art form in itself and a distraction from the process of turning.

As Brian said a bit of tuition would not go amiss, perhaps your granddad at 96 is still young enough to get you started, if not then get to a club, or find a professional teacher who can give you a start point.

I think most of us on here probably were quite pleased to make a rolling pin, or plant dibber for our first useful end product. (I still use my rolling pin on the one occasion a year I make pastry) no idea about gardening so the dibber was given away a decade or so ago.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
OK, firstly welcome to the forum (and the wonderful world of woodturning).
Now a few attempts at answers. The Y-shaped pieces are called crotches, and they are popular because these are often areas where grain develops into ripples and other visually interesting patterns. However, for a total novice, you should ignore these for now.
The species is a little hard to tell from the picture, but at a guess I'd say it's ash. If you just leave them as they are, you will have perfectly good firewood in about 3-4 years.
Yes, converting green wood into usable timber for woodturning is a process of its own, but it's not that hard. However, you will need a chainsaw (and all the associated safety kit), or a very large bandsaw.

There are now two options: green-turning or drying.
Green turning is fun, but messy. There will be water flying everywhere and the shavings are wet, so wherever they touch metal, there will be rust. Green turning is useful for bowls and hollow forms, but completely pointless for most everything else. If you want to keep your wood in a green state, you need to wrap it completely in cling film or plastic bags and seal the lot so that the moisture cannot escape. Most likely you'll also get some spalting in the process, as fungal spores are normally everywhere.
Drying takes time and a little more effort, but can produce timber useful for a very wide range of projects.

Under normal circumstances the first thing to do is split all the pieces down the middle. You need to expose the pith, as this is normally the area where the cracks start, and only if you give the wood the option to shrink on its circumference do you have any chance of avoiding that. The only time you would not do this is if you were to green-turn a hollow form. Given your level of skill that is not for you right now.
Once the logs are split in half, decide on the blanks you want (or can) make from them. bigger logs may well yield some nice bowl blanks, smaller logs give spindle blanks. At any rate, once you've cut the logs into the sizes you want, you MUST seal the end grain, either with wax or PVA or end-grain sealer (if you have money to burn). Wax is messy, but tends to yield the best results. PVA is cheap, but can result in some mould growing. In any case, make sure your cover is over the entire end grain and roughly an inch along the side grain.

Probably best to find your local club and become a member, or go for some tuition from a pro for the actual turning.

Offline Spiggy

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
Hi guys,
Thanks for the speedy replies. Loads of great information for me to digest.

BrainH - Nice to meet someone local  :) I'm in South Norfolk so a bit of a trek up to the lovely Caister but if I do find myself up that way I'll be sure to drop in. Sprowston is a bit more do-able so I might look into that.

Twisted Trees - I can get hold a chainsaw, I've got a small bandsaw and a small hatchet and associated PPE but from what you're saying it sounds like it might be a futile effort. Still, it's free and I get to play with a chainsaw  ;) Yeah, I think a few tips in person certainly wouldn't go amiss. Rolling pin sounds like a nice idea especially as I don't have one so I might give that a go.

Fuzzyturns - Thanks for the welcome! Crotches....*snigger* sorry, good to know though. They do sound nice but I get the feeling a bit beyond my skill set at the moment. You're correct on the species, it is indeed Ash, I checked with our conservation officer that I got them from. Some great information on what to do with the logs and more importantly, why they are done. They are stashed in the garage at the moment so I'll have a proper look at them at the weekend.

So, looks like I need to find a nice local club and see what people do. I know Nick Arnull is local. Actually I used to live just round the corner from him but I didn't have a lathe back then and didn't know him. His lessons are quite pricey though but maybe as a Christmas present to myself.

All good stuff. Thanks guys!  :)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
Hi Baz
The Norwich club meet tomorrow night. 7-10pm. Mick Hanbury is our demonstrator and you would be most welcome. See our website for details of location.
Roger Groom

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
Sorry Baz, that should have read Friday night. The 7th June
Roger Groom

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
If you leave these pieces of wood untreated until the weekend you may find that the cracking has already started. With green wood you need to act quickly.

Offline Spiggy

• iron
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »
Roger Groom - Thanks for info and invite. I can't make 7th of June but it looks good. I'll see if I can make it next month. Would good to meet a few people that can me in right direction.

Fuzzyturns - good to know. I can't really do anything until then though. If it goes to waste, no loss as it was all free.

Thanks,
Baz