Author Topic: Catches with larger pieces  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Re: Catches with larger pieces
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
Hi Vestas,

You say: 
I would say I didn’t use it on the face of the blank I was trying to clean up the side but I do see I was doing it wrong.
but this shows you haven't fully  understood.  Please take heed of all the good, beneficial advice you've received.

I would suggest three options for you to improve but more importantly to be safe and not hurt yourself.
>  join a club and learn from attending demos and talking with club members and visiting turners.
>  read some of the great books written by woodturners on the subject that have plenty of explanatory images and drawings with accompanying text (some clubs lend these out to members)
>  complete a basic foundation training course

Some people see cost as an issue for getting tuition, but I say to them to stop buying further tools and equipment until such time they learn how to turn safely which would also means they'll be using them correctly and getting enjoyment from their efforts.

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »
Hi Vestas,

You say: 
I would say I didn’t use it on the face of the blank I was trying to clean up the side but I do see I was doing it wrong.
but this shows you haven't fully  understood.  Please take heed of all the good, beneficial advice you've received.

I would suggest three options for you to improve but more importantly to be safe and not hurt yourself.
>  join a club and learn from attending demos and talking with club members and visiting turners.
>  read some of the great books written by woodturners on the subject that have plenty of explanatory images and drawings with accompanying text (some clubs lend these out to members)
>  complete a basic foundation training course

Some people see cost as an issue for getting tuition, but I say to them to stop buying further tools and equipment until such time they learn how to turn safely which would also means they'll be using them correctly and getting enjoyment from their efforts.

I understand, really I do that’s what I’m saying - I learnt the lesson - I now know never to use a roughing gouge on anything other than a spindle - I get it !
Lesson learnt - !

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »
My apologies then, and i've got the message too, so wishing you safe and successful turning.

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:50:42 AM »
Hi Vestas,

Just to let you know you are not on your own !!!!

I've been turning for a few years, mainly spindle and only the
occasional face work.

So, this is new to me as well, I really did'nt know the dangers
of using the roughing gouge on a bowl or whatever and
it ain't now gonna happen again !!!

This is a superb website, I've learnt an awful lot and, like you,
I have been 'told off' when I 'insulted' the skew chisel. I
was absolutely useless with it and these guys showed me the
way through, I can't say I'm an expert with it, but, oh so much
better and, not only that, but enjoy using the skew now. I don't
know how to post a link here, but if you can find the posting
'Robert Sorby Spindlemaster', you will see what I mean.

So, happy days, best of luck and best wishes - Jim

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 11:59:11 AM »
Hi Vestas,

Just to let you know you are not on your own !!!!

I've been turning for a few years, mainly spindle and only the
occasional face work.

So, this is new to me as well, I really did'nt know the dangers
of using the roughing gouge on a bowl or whatever and
it ain't now gonna happen again !!!

This is a superb website, I've learnt an awful lot and, like you,
I have been 'told off' when I 'insulted' the skew chisel. I
was absolutely useless with it and these guys showed me the
way through, I can't say I'm an expert with it, but, oh so much
better and, not only that, but enjoy using the skew now. I don't
know how to post a link here, but if you can find the posting
'Robert Sorby Spindlemaster', you will see what I mean.

So, happy days, best of luck and best wishes - Jim

Thanks Jim
There is a lot to learn and I’m definitely in the naughty corner !
Thanks for the understanding- I will check out the post u suggested
Many thanks
Mike

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 01:15:21 PM »
Don't worry Mike, we are woodturners inherently in favour of round things, so there is no naughty corner   ;D but you had the sense to ask, and got good answers. My trip to Finland has been cancelled so I hope to see you at the club 20th June, where you will learn even professional demonstrators get the occasional rebuke for unsafe practices.

I also got told about spindle roughing gouges quite memorably by one of the instructors at the mill 10 or so years ago, and I remembered, as you will!

I liked the pictures of your work, it's clear you are returning to turning rather than a novice.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:27:13 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
Some time ago a woodturner whose name I never knew, decided to make a video demonstrating why you should not use a spindle roughing gouge on faceplate work. He had a rather serious catch that ended up with him bleeding all over the place, probably one of the best demontstrative videos ever made but completely stupid to try to do so.
From my time in the armed forces one of the first things you are told when starting to instruct others is "never demonstrate a wrong method or movement" I guess that chap learnt the lesson the hard way.

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »
Don't worry Mike, we are woodturners inherently in favour of round things, so there is no naughty corner   ;D but you had the sense to ask, and got good answers. My trip to Finland has been cancelled so I hope to see you at the club 20th June, where you will learn even professional demonstrators get the occasional rebuke for unsafe practices.

I also got told about spindle roughing gouges quite memorably by one of the instructors at the mill 10 or so years ago, and I remembered, as you will!

I liked the pictures of your work, it's clear you are returning to turning rather than a novice.

Thanks Pete
I am loving the turning and each ones a challenge of sorts.
Thanks for the comments re my pics
It’s therapy !

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 05:34:22 PM »
Some time ago a woodturner whose name I never knew, decided to make a video demonstrating why you should not use a spindle roughing gouge on faceplate work. He had a rather serious catch that ended up with him bleeding all over the place, probably one of the best demontstrative videos ever made but completely stupid to try to do so.
From my time in the armed forces one of the first things you are told when starting to instruct others is "never demonstrate a wrong method or movement" I guess that chap learnt the lesson the hard way.

I saw that video ! He ended up with a rather poorly finger ! Good advice !

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 07:59:45 PM »
Lots of people offer advice for you to join a club, as we do not know where in the country you live, your local club cannot offer you an invitation.
If you live anywhere near Bury St edmunds, our next club night id this coming Monday
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 08:10:11 PM »
To fill in the information identified by BHT. It was Ian (Robbo) Robertson, he's a link to the YouTube video (There is blood but not huge amounts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhHeyoZLaY 
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Vestas

• copper
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 11:16:15 PM »
Lots of people offer advice for you to join a club, as we do not know where in the country you live, your local club cannot offer you an invitation.
If you live anywhere near Bury St edmunds, our next club night id this coming Monday
Ron

Hi Rob
Thanks for the club offer, I’m in Bristol and hope to go to the local club in a couple of weeks time.Pete Twisted Trees has kindly pointed me in the direction of the club

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
To fill in the information identified by BHT. It was Ian (Robbo) Robertson, he's a link to the YouTube video (There is blood but not huge amounts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhHeyoZLaY

The other person also to show this was Brendan Stemp who has now removed all of his U tube videos.