Author Topic: Old Competitions  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
Old Competitions
« on: May 25, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
Hi. Bit of a strange question but directed at some of the members who have been entering competitions for a long time. I am currently chair of Dorset Woodturners Association and one of our members has recently passed away. I can remember him telling me about woodworking competitions which were held - possibly Westminster Hall or Earls Court in the 70's or 80's. From what I remember he said he had won a competition. Does anyone know who was running these competitions and where I might find the relevant information.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Old Competitions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
There used to be one run by the publishers of The Woodworker and Turner magazine the last one was at Alexandra Palace. Which I entered, it was the first show that I had even attempted to enter and went into the Novice section and luckily won the third prize.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
Thanks for that -  any idea of the dates?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
Thanks for that -  any idea of the dates?

Not sure of the exact date but I can say it was March 2011. Someone told me I had third on the 12th of March that year and looking at a calendar for that year seems about right as it was a Saturday.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
Hi Derek   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
Hi Derek   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Julian

That's the one Julian blimey bring back memories and I still have the Robert Sorby set I won the bowl gauge is a little short now and had to buy another to use, as well as the turning

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »
I'm not sure which shows or competitions were covered but there is a complete archive of all issues of Revolutions going back to 1987 on the AWGB website.