Author Topic: Cloth backed polishing rolls  (Read 1890 times)

Offline GeordieTurner

• iron
Cloth backed polishing rolls
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:32 PM »
I wondered what the forums thoughts are on cloth backed sanding sheets/rolls. Are they, as I have read, easy to tear and mould to the wood shape? Are they available in all grades and who is a reliable supplier? Many thanks

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Cloth backed polishing rolls
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 01:23:25 AM »
There are many forms of cloth backed abrasives, and I wouldn't want to use anything that wasn't cloth. Personally I use Mirka Abranet grades 180 to 400 for most day to day stuff. The Velcro backing makes it quite versatile and I buy it in 10m rolls so it's hard to switch and try other alternatives because I have plenty. As for supplier, its wherever I can get it at the best price.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:31:31 AM »
If they still make abranet the way they used to, then you're not using cloth backed, it's a steel mesh.

Cloth (or steel) backed abrasives are generally better than paper if wet sanding or using with liquid finishes etc. but for many sanding applications, it doesn't matter too much what the backing is, it's how you use it and what the abrasive is made from. Aluminium oxide is usually used although there are other abrasives including ceramic and diamond for tricky jobs.

Having said that, not all cloth backed abrasives are of the same quality and there are a number of different weights which affect the stiffness of the backing. Most turners use J weight but no doubt the next person to reply will say they use a different weight! ;-) Likewise with paper - they are not all the same so find an abrasive that achieves the results you want.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »
I use the rhino from Richard Findley. Not had a problem with it and as said versatile for use with sanding discs and for interior of rings etc.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:09:44 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
Not mush to add except cloth backed abrasives are advertised by the weight of the cloth itself. I think J weight is the lightest, therefore easiest to fold or mould to shape,  and is certainly the cloth backed abrasive sold by Axminster.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Bottom line is it needs to be flexible, most turning sanding required a fold or 3, and quite often sanding around the bend so stiff backing is no good, he says attaching abrasive to thin plywood sticks! 

You will use twice as much of the starting grit as any of the median grits so it is not a bad idea to buy 10m of the first grit and 5m of the remainders, you will use 6x as much of the starting grit as the ultra-fine so consider buying 600+ in 1m lengths.

10m is quite a lot, so have a play with different ones before buying in bulk.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »
I buy 2" wide rolls about 50m long, intended for stainless steel but still works on wood.Look around some of your local trading estates or motorbike shops  as sometimes you can get it cheaper there that you can online.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:35:12 PM »
I get through masses of this cloth backed abrasive so buy in bulk in 50mm wide 25m length rolls.  A good source is Scott & Seargeant who supply it for 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 240, 280, 320, 400, 500, and 600 grit sizes.

Yes it does tear OK and I have made a customised dispenser which makes use of this property (details HERE)

Tim