Author Topic: Start with a Cube 02  (Read 1528 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Start with a Cube 02
« on: May 31, 2019, 04:53:23 PM »
One more image
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Start with a Cube 02
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
Following on from your previous, the internal curve fails a bit as the rounded bottoms in the gaps don't make the curve flow.

I did work it out on one of mine but it was not easy, I used a thin (in thickness not narrow) wood chisel as a skew to cut my way down and form a flowing shape. Not easy but it can be done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »
Thank you all for the comments. Here is something of the journey. I was exploring the brief to woodturn from a cube of timber and chose to leave the cubic form represented in the final piece. I could have deconstructed the cube and done other things but took the brief literally. I did some googling for starters and then began some ideas on the back of an envelope. These were then moved to "3D sketches" at the lathe using/abusing gash timber. The idea with vanes (possibly inspired by working on several Fiat 500 air cooled engines !) seemed to offer more of a challenge. The inside was done first to give something to follow. The vanes were marked and cut with a diamond sectioned parting tool as that is what I have. Big mistake. Maintaining an even cut (yes it was sharp) was difficult as I was bounced off and the vanes were flexing. There was very little loss of corners though. If I was to pursue this idea any more I would look to alternative tooling and practice a lot more. The square bottoms to the grooves looked wrong so I made a round ended scraper to curve them. Better, but still not right enough. Yes, the surfaces were sanded using sheet abrasive on a thin piece of steel which has distorted/rounded vanes and they have lost their integrity. So, an idea tried out for myself and demonstrated a couple of times during which issues of work holding were also covered, that's another story. Fundamentally a non starter in practical terms but it gave the brain cell a work out !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »

Can't say I have ever started with a cube, sounds a bit dogey  :)  I do round  and power sand off to square. One of the
 biggest problem always is getting the segments the same size.   When doing deep ones I always have a mug of water
 ready to keep cooling the chisel. Hope to see some different internal images . Well done
 Kind Regards Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/