Author Topic: Chairman's Role  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
Chairman's Role
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »
Last year I was persuaded to take on the role of Chair of Dorset Woodturners Association(not affiliated to AWGB). Little did I know of the story that would unfold this year. Helping a local lady clear out the wood from her husbands workshop after he died prematurely. One very messy incident which for confidential reasons it would be improper for me to describe and 3 funerals of older members. I am unsure of the average age of our members but it is quite high so I perhaps should have been prepared for this. The hard part is the fact that 2 of the funerals will be on the same day but I will be able to get to both.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Chairman's Role
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:36:00 AM »
I guess that we tend to think m,ore of the administrative and planning roles of the president, and not think of the pastoral role, which is something that tends to be just taken for granted. Well done for accepting the challenge.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »

.......Same here Dave, well done indeed !!!!!

It's so easy in this day and age, to be too busy to
remember the common decencies.......well done again,
you are doing a very worthwhile job.......be proud !!!!

Best wishes - Jim

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »
Well done, David, for stepping up. Not an easy task. There’s no doubt your efforts will be appreciated.
Regards
Michael

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
I am with you Dave, we have had many similar incdents over the last ten years.
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
David first of all well done for stepping up to the post which  is an important one at club level because it is the chairman that has the most influence over the running of the club. A strong Chairman will delegate to good committee members and hopefully all will pull together to make the club a success. I think when you are in that position certain standards have to be maintained and sadly representing the club at funerals just happens to be one of those standards. But you should feel comfortable knowing that your members were happy in the knowledge that they were represented but also your deceased member's family and friends were probably happy that someone from the club came along. I was chairman at my club in Trowbridge and atttended more than enough funerals of club members .but with it also comes sometimes with the added responsibility of valueing and helping to clear workshops and tools and it is a reflection on your integrity of how that is carried out. I handed over the reins of my club to a new chairman a couple of years ago and he is doing a good job, but I try to make his job easier (and that of the committee) by helping to put the chairs out/away, taking my turn to sweep up and wash up, demonstrating or just introducing new members to existing members. When suggestions are called for from the committee I am happy to make mine. Personally I think it should be compulsory for club members to spend time on the committee.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:46:04 AM »
I have just ended my 3 year term as Commodore at a boat Club . It was full time demanding and you do need to dedecated , Looking after the running of the Club and 14 person committee along with 150 members is no easy ride .

Well dont for your commitment .