Author Topic: laburnum natural edge bowl.  (Read 2677 times)

Offline wider

• gold
laburnum natural edge bowl.
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
turned this laburnum natural edge bowl. it is 10x6x1 1/2" and finished with woodwax using a mop to polish. all comments welcome

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: laburnum natural edge bowl.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »
Another lovely piece of work. The figure in the bowl is beautiful. I also like the detail in the foot of the piece.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:12:50 PM by Mike313 »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Like both  these bowls though personally I would have put a little bead at the edge of the bowl part to define it. Personal taste again.

Prte
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »
I was going to do that with a bead but it just dident look right. so took it of.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
Fair enough, as I said personal taste.

Pete

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 05:49:38 AM »
I'm with Pete on this!  I find that cutting back the upper surface of the wing to leave an upward step to the rim of the bowl, helps to define the edge of the bowl, but also gives the illusion that the bowl passes through the board, which adds greatly to the general appeal of the piece. It's advice that I was given on this forum, about 3 or 4 years ago when I made my first bowl-in-a-board, and I find that it works well for me and appeals to a greater number of people. I'd also comment that the wing could have been thinned down somewhat, giving the appearance of lightness; this one looks a little heavy!

Having said all that, there's no detracting from the fact that both of your recent bowls are beautiful pieces of timber that have been well turned.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Motley Dog

• iron
    • Motley Dog Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
Lovely piece. Well done.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »
For me it looks great without a rim to the bowl. In my humble opinion, a rim would disrupt the waterfall-like effect you have gotten where the grain 'spills' from the wing on the left into the bowl (first photo). That is a lovely feature of the piece . . . :)

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »
thank you all for the comments and yes I put this bowl back on the lathe and thinned out the wing and put a lip round the bowl. so thank you for inspiring me to achieve a better bowl so her are the updated photos.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
Nice one Dennis....I fully understand that opinions are just that, but I must say that I feel that it looks so much better for the extra work that you've now put in to it. I really believe that you've turned a good bowl into a great bowl.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
I agree with Les. Whenever you make something always remember that design is a major part of what makes something special rather than just good. Yes there is latitude with personal taste but there are also basic rukes that work and always have. Bowls like this need to be accentuated as a rule or they get lost in the overall look of the piece. What you now have is a bowl that stands out as special before you had a piece of wood with a dip in it.
My opinion so ignore if you disagree LOL,

pete

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
thank you for comments it was a bit edgy at times trying to get the cut just right and then when I got the thickness to a point that I dident want to do another cut I decided to use a orbital sander through the grits from 180 to 400. then sand sealer and woodwax buffed to finish.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
i preferred it as it was.

i've never liked the rims on bowls like these.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »
A great wood choice on this one Denis, the grain in the wood makes it look good be it flat or with a raised edge. A lovely bit of turning. Les

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »
A very nice piece Dennis. I prefer the reworked one for two reasons first the lip around the bowl and also the thinner section of the wings it just takes the heavy look of it away.
Glad that when you did the lip that it was the same size above the bowl as below many times when viewed from the side they are staggered which would have spoiled it. It is something that those newer to turning can easily miss.